Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Pretty Jar and a Recipe

Today I made up the last batch of elderberry cordial and this time I managed to find some pretty bottles to put it in. I love to collect unusual glass jars and shiny containers - I'm sure if I had a former life I was a magpie!

Anyhow I picked up these 3 bottles in a charity shop several years back and they sit on the shelves above my stove where all my other pretty shiny things and a few kitchen gadgets sit. I washed them, sterilised them and promptly filled them.

Dave and I have had a chance to try out this cordial and it is YUMMY! So for anyone who has access to elderberries (and I see a lot around and about going free) I'm sharing the recipe at the bottom of this post.

First I want to share what I did to a bottle for my friend Jilly who's just rung to say she's stopping by this afternoon.


I'm much happier about the presentation in these bottles and since I am giving this one to Jilly I know she will return the bottle. I think they were fairly old so I don't want to just give them away especially since I can't get more.
I created the label just like the ones for my craft room except that I decorated this one up. I used 2 of my PTI stamp sets - the 'spiral bouquet' for the leaves and 'my punny valentine' for the berries (hearts in 2 sizes). I added some MS punched lace border when I sandwiched the front and back tags together and inked and faux stitched as before.


This is the label reversed with instructions for Jilly.

These are the simple instructions I decided should be included so she would know how to make it up and how long it keeps for.

Elderberry Cordial

Ripe Elderberries - as many as you want or can pick
(be sure to pick on a dry day)
Sugar - lots!
Whole cloves

Method

Trim as much stem/stalks away as possible leaving the berries still attached.
(don't be tempted to leave bigger stalks or leaves on as too many can be poisonous)
Wash and drain berries and place into a large pot.
Add just enough cold water to cover the berries and heat to simmering.
Steep and simmer the berries for several minutes to soften them.
Pour liquid and berries through muslin - I used a jelly/jam making strainer.
Extract all the juice you can by squeezing the berries until there is no more.
Discard the 'pulp' - berries and smaller stems left behind in the muslin.
Measure juice by pints back into a large pot and add 10 cloves and 1 lb of sugar for each 1 pint of juice.
Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
Let cool and strain (to remove and reserve cloves) then pour into sterilised bottles or jars .
(I keep Milton sterilising tablets under my kitchen sink - something my mother always did for cleaning dishcloths, tea towels or just stains out of flasks and crockery)
Add reserved cloves to each bottle evenly as this acts as a preservative.
Seal and cordial is ready to use straight away.
Cordial will keep up to 2 years but I guarantee it won't last that long!

No comments: