Monday, 24 December 2007

Christmas Eve

Yep it's Christmas Eve and - NO I'M NOT SOME SAD BLOGGER WITH NOTHING BETTER TO DO!

I am waiting to take the presents over to my daughter's house but one of the grandkids are still wide awake. I thought while I wait I might as well share what I've been doing between yesterday and today.




I have been meaning to try my hand at making one of these for a while now and since I needed a last minute gift I thought why not?


I got the idea for this from Beate John's blog and the tutorial she did for the Split Coast Stampers site. You can find the instructions to make one of your own at http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/treat_box/ The box is cleverly made from just one 12 x 12 sheet of card stock, covered with 2 complimenting 12 x 12 sheets of patterned paper and when finished it creates a kind of bowl with 4 divided sections.



I decided to fill each section with a bag of goodies such as yoghurt covered raisins and chocolate covered peanuts. It holds 4 fairly good sized bags too!





This is the view from the top. The whole thing is tied together to keep it in place and I added a gold angel die-cut to finish it off.



I didn't take a final photograph but I gathered clear wrap around it, tied a bow and added a tag (as for the fruit basket in previous post). It looked very pretty and the best part of all was that these can be made ahead of time, stored flat and then just grab, tie, fill, wrap and go for a quick and easy gift. You could add pamper items to it or do one for a new baby with lots of baby gifts. I think it would lend itself to any theme as long as you can find items to fit into the sections nicely.


At this time of year when you get invited to parties they make lovely gifts to the party hosts.

I finally managed to make half a dozen of my festive slices on Sunday. I thought I had made them small enough to fit into some lovely boxes I bought especially for them this year but they simply would not go in. It was just as well I grabbed half a dozen of these clear boxes at the sametime but they only just fit in these!

I tied them up with pretty checkered ribbon and even made a few quick tags on the computer. I would've liked to have created tags that were completely hand made but I am still recovering from this cough virus so I was absolutely bushed after all the baking.

I have been making these slices for several Christmases now and I stumbled onto it quite by accident. I was trying to create fancy (sweet) mince pies topped with marzipan but they flopped miserably. I was left with the remainder of the jar of mincemeat, marzipan and pastry.

Here's what I did:

I decided to roll out the pastry into an oblong, line it with marzipan, top it with sweet mincemeat mixture and added sliced apples for good measure. I folded and sealed the whole thing up, scored a criss cross pattern lightly on the top and then brushed with beaten egg. I baked it in a moderate oven, seal side down until golden and then dusted it generously with icing sugar once cooled. Success!!!! I now get asked for these every year!

Team up my slice with Dave's home made egg nog and you have a yummy Christmas treat. We delivered a couple on Sunday evening and dropped off the last one's tonight; making sure to keep one for ourselves of course!

Well my daughter has texted, the kids are asleep and she wants to go to bed too so I'm off to deliver pressies for them to open tomorrow morning.

No comments: