This weekend Dave and I wrapped presents for most of Sunday evening and we are still no way near being finished. Our eldest daughter celebrates her birthday in 2 days time and then we can get out the decorations and think about putting up the tree - we never liked to mix the two when she was growing up so I still don't, and Dave has just made his first batch of eggnog for the year 2007.

At this time of year we love to make goodies to give to friends and family and we always try to find one or two extra people each year that we think could use or would really appreciate such a gift. Christmas is a time of giving so we really enjoy making and giving these goodies probably as much if not more than the joy of those who receive them - and those who request them year after year.

Dave has made this first batch to take to the church council members party at our ministers house tonight. I was invited too but I babysat the grandkids today despite being poorly with a chesty cough so I am giving the festivities a miss and heading off to bed early tonight instead - (lots of coughing!!!!)
I had hoped to have the 'treats' set of stamps from Papertrey Ink to decorate our containers this year but when I wanted it the set was out of stock (i.e. when I was placing an order) and then it was back in stock just after I'd ordered. I always try to order the $40 amount to qualify for free postage. In previous years I've used dried orange slices, cinnamon sticks, raffia, twine and brown tags to decorate the jars but this batch will just have to go out undecorated because I've been too poorly to get that organised yet - (lots more coughing!!)

Dave takes great pleasure in preparing this treat every year, sharing it as much as he can, and of course drinking it himself too. Despite calling for ground nutmeg and rum extract he always puts in real rum (and plenty of it) and freshly grated nutmeg - I brought a nutmeg grater especially for it!
Here's the recipe if anyone wants to have a go - it's well worth making it from scratch as it's sooooooo much better than store bought.
Makeover Eggnog
14oz sugar, 2oz flour, 1/2 tspn salt, 4 pts semi skim milk, 1/2 tspn g. nutmeg (we like fresh ground), 6 lightly beaten eggs, 3 tspns vanilla extract, 2 x 500 ml single cream, 2 tspns rum extract (Dave adds an 8oz cup of the real thing - more if you don't watch him!).
In a large heavy based pot, blend sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and beaten eggs until smooth. Cook, stirring over a low heat until thermometer reads 160 degrees (20 mins). Remove from heat and stir in extracts. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours (we cover and leave outside in the cold winter air overnight as it takes up too much room in the fridge which is usually full this time of year anyway).
The next day - strain the mixture and stir in cream and nutmeg. Serve chilled and keep refridgerated when not in use. Yields 6 pints (18 - 20 servings).
NOTE: to our American friends - pints are imperial, i.e. 20 oz per pint and I think 2% low fat milk is about the same as semi skimmed.
Enjoy :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment