Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Designer Slip Cover

This evening I finally found something worth cutting into one of my Cath Kidston fabrics for - a slip cover for a cushion that my mother has been after me to make. Actually I completely re-made the cushion first and then created the slip cover.


I appreciate it's a bit bright but it just had to be this strawberry fabric. None of the others would do - she would've complained the white would get dirty too quick, the stripes didn't look right etc, etc. This is a long slim pillow with a very important purpose. Mum had a pace maker fitted a while ago and she is unable to sit in the front seat because of the seat belt that comes across her chest unless she has some kind of cushioning. This is now it. In addition she is awaiting further surgery for one leaky heart valve and one completely shot valve so she has to be extra careful right now.

I hope she won't mind that I decided to finish the closing with some very large, very fun white buttons. I thought it looked more 'trendy' and despite being absolute CRAP at button holes (ok I'm not that bad I just hate doing them) I wanted it to be perfect for her. She can be a bit of a clean freak so she'll appreciated a cover that she can take off and wash and the buttons make that task easier.

As an extra 'designer' touch I cut a length from down the edge of the fabric to obtain the makers trademark name label and used a fine zig zag stitch to add it so it looks as though it was always meant to be there. I'm guessing that's within the law - must be cos when you buy the fabric it's yours to do whatever with and her name is plastered all down the edge of the fabric for goodness sakes!

Mum's cushion is super soft (has to be) and now it's super pretty and fashionable too. Hope she likes it. I'll find out when I take it to her later this evening.

No comments: