Sunday, 27 March 2011

Banana Cream Pie Plus Another WMS Page

My daughter came over and made Grandma Howard's Banana Cream Pie (under my watchful eye) on Friday for our family dinner - I had some pie shells and bananas that needed using up. This was a firm family favourite and poor ol' mom slaved over a double boiler to make these - bless her.  I cheat and use a microwave technique.  Why ever not?  Plus I usually cheat and use a ready made pie crust too.  Hey - I bake - I just bake the easy way - who has time? LOL!


Technically they're topped with meringue rather than cream (uses up the egg whites perfectly) but I have been known to use a cream topping if I'm in even more of a hurry.  And YES I do still have the foil casing on these - I wasn't brave enough to remove the pie from it cos they were a bit crumbly - I did say I had to use them up.

 

They're soooooo yummy!  Best of all there were left overs so hubby and I had a second piece the following day. Double yum!

I don't use very deep pie shells so I get two whole pies out of this mixture. Want the recipe?

Grandma's Banana Cream Pie

1 - 2 pie shells, 2-3 ripe bananas, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar (twice), 2 cups milk, 5 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon butter

Mix flour, salt and 1/4 cup sugar in a large microwave bowl then gradually stir in milk.  Cook on high stirring every few minutes until thick as custard.   Cook a few minutes longer.  Mix egg yolks with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and stir in a little of the hot custard mixture.  Add egg mixture to bowl, stir and cook on high, stirring occasionally until it moulds when dropped from a spoon.  Add butter and vanilla and pour over sliced bananas in pie shell.  Top with whipped, sweetened double cream or meringue.

Enjoy!

The other thing I wanted to quickly share is the page I finally finished.  I just love this page design so I had to make a second one.  This one will probably be a gift but I will happily take requests for a page if anyone's interested.  I can't repeat the same papers but I have some lurvely October Afternoon papers coming plus a few other pretty ones I'm looking at in my stash.


Don't these WM stamps lend themselves beautifully to this page design?  I have an 'as for me and my house.....' scripture stamp from Verve that I am thinking about using for a different layout using these WM stamps too - except using the house and flowers stamps. 


So many of the 'tiny' stamps are fun to use like the centre circle which works really well in the scalloped strip.  I first cut a scallop with scissors that were a pretty close match in size and then stamped the circle into each scallop.  They were perfect for sitting one of my favourite black gems into.  I am not a photographer so sometimes my photos don't do justice.

The frames are perfect for adding text and now that I have the WM alphabet stamps I can use WM for ALL the text on my pages.

I am getting a nice collection of scrapbook pages using Waltzing Mouse stamps in my WM gallery - this ones going in there and I have plans to keep adding more so watch this space.  At some point I will move on from this design and do one of the other half dozen sketches I have rattling around in my head! 

Enjoy!

Blessings - Suezie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have been there for dinner!! Love & Hugs to All...

Rose said...

YUMMY pie :)

another awesome page!!