She usually brings along gifts too since we don't see her very often now. Dave got several bottles of a special brew released for Father's Day this year that was matured in oak smoked barrels. He had one bottle and loved it so she promptly went and cleared out the shelves of it and it's now all sitting in our kitchen. This was my 'gift' but I use the term lightly - read on.

Four lengths of lovely Cath Kidston fabric. I was given this with strict instructions to use it sparingly - she tells me this little lot cost £60 from John Lewis - obviously I will have to make it go as far as I can. I can see some 'oh so cute' little fabric bags with handmade cards or gift items in them.
I was just beginning to think how sweet she was when she showed me just how much bunting she needed sewing. Somehow she had managed to talk me into hosting a family BBQ here tomorrow. Usually I love to play hostess but anyone who's ever done it knows you spend several days cleaning, prepping and planning, don't sit down for 5 minutes all day so your guests want for nothing and then spend the next couple of days getting everything straight again. It's a lot of work and I get real tired easily these days. I knew there had to be a catch somewhere.

No surprise then that she didn't end up on the sewing machine finishing bunting - I did! How is it that I simply don't know how to use that little word 'NO' when it comes to the kids? I could understand it at 6 or 7 but at 26 and 28 come on! Not only did I end up doing this but I also agreed to babysit the grandkids overnight so the girls could go out clubbing. All this knowing full well I have a house full of guests tomorrow - a house mind you that the kids will wreck and that will need cleaning AGAIN tomorrow, cake to bake and frost and food to prepare - NOT to mention blasted bunting to be put up!

Ok, ok so I am being somewhat over dramatic maybe (maybe not). The truth is I rarely sew these days and I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed it though I wasn't about to let on to Jess.
She had used another Cath Kidston fabric (love this design) but so she could use it sparingly she had added two colours of cheaper gingham fabric. Could you imagine how delicious this bunting would be if you used ALL CK fabric? As soon as Vicky arrived she immediately asked what we were doing with the bunting when the BBQ was over. This would look super cute in Maddy's room and we all knew it. Oh dear - something tells me I could find myself sewing even more BUNTING!!!

Anyhow this was only the first strip of bunting and let me tell ya it goes pretty deep so there's a lot of work here. One down, one more to go. At least Jess ironed all the pieces before I stitched them to the tape. While I hate ironing I would actually have done this too. I love ironing new fabric and pressing a new seam for the first time - strange but very true.
Both the girls are on strict instructions to be here no later than 10 am tomorrow so I can get ALL hands on deck but we'll just see how that goes shall we.
Jess is staying over on Monday so we get to spend a mother/daughter day together. You better believe she's buying lunch after all this.
Well the kiddie winkies are asleep and I'm heading off to Bedfordshire myself. I just know SOME of us will get a lie in while SOME of us are gonna be sitting at the breakfast table at 6 am tomorrow morning. It's a good job I love my kids I tell ya.
3 comments:
Suezie, If you ever said "NO" I would faint. This is from you know who with love!!
you don't know how to say NO, but i love that bunting to........... imagine how cute that would look in the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
May have to look at fabric in Joann's!
Post a Comment