Saturday, 25 July 2009

Maddy & Needham Lake

Despite not having been too well this week I managed to cope with a couple of hours of outdoors and sunshine today. I really didn't have to do too much just sit and wander around with my camera and go home when I'd had enough.

Today is our 29th wedding anniversary and we were babysitting Maddy while the boys went to Portman Road in Ipswich for a footie match with mum and dad. I had heard about Needham Lake from a work colleague and wanted to check it out so we took Maddy along.

I will share a few pictures of the lake but first I wanted to share these two. The first is Maddy on the journey there reading one of her Disney princesses books. I love the way she crosses her legs when she's comfortable.

This shot below tells a completely diferent story and is Maddy on the journey home. We had only been gone a couple of hours but even at 4 years old, feeding ducks and playing in the park can still tucker you out!


Like I said we fed the ducks and the swans.

We didn't actually think to bring bread but Maddy being the fusspot she is never eats her crusts so for a one off, Dave and I joined her as we ate our picnic lunch so we had a whole bunch of bread for the birds.



She actually got a bit too close for comfort to this swan so it took to the water. I'm sure glad it did - it looks so lovely floating out on the water.

Of course there was plenty of time for play in the park area as well. It's not a huge park but there is a second park further in across the bridge so there is just enough for kids to have a play. If you pause a while over the bridge you can watch the fish swimming in the water below and be dazzled by the beautiful dragonflies flying just above.


Ordinarily we might've taken the walk around the lake to Alder Carr Farm but not today. I had Dave drive us there and we had the chance to see some farm animals as well as sample some great homemade cake.



This is what Maddy was looking at over the fence. Mud, mud, glorious mud! This pig was soooo enjoying a good wallow in it and it was HUGE.


Mom if you're reading this - I sooo cannot believe this was here all the time. When I think how often we visited Needham Market for the antique and flea market and probably even parked by the rail station without even knowing this was just on the other side of the tracks it makes me 'pig' sick.
You would've loved the farm with it's pretty courtyard of shops, home made ice cream, pick your own berries, farm shop and even a little restaurant. Heck I'd have taken my own mum when we took her for a drive a few weeks back if I'd known it was here.
For anyone looking in - Needham Lake (and Alder Carr Farm) is well worth a visit if you're looking to find a pleasant sunny afternoon past-time. I know we only scratched the surface today.

1 comment:

Sara said...

This is one of our favorite parks!
Hope you had a lovely wedding anniversary - congratulations xx