Wednesday, 8 July 2009

A Short 'Stay at Home' Vacation

Dave and I have been on vacation for a few days but now it's back to work tomorrow - shame!


It's been so lovely having time to do anything (or nothing at all) but spending the time together regardless of what we did (or didn't do). But we did do a few things. We started on Sunday by visiting a new church which is something we like to do while on vacation and even though technically we didn't go away we still thought it would be a nice change. We saw a few young faces we knew from youth group except all grown up now and did some catching up plus it's always nice to be so welcomed by everyone as visitors.
In the afternoon we spent some time down on our plot and had our first real picking of gooseberries since planting the bush 3 years ago. I made a gooseberry crumble and we ate it with friends when we went to share the movie 'Fireproof' with them. I also made up an organic basket of goodies which turned out to be the perfect hostess gift as Eliza was just beginning to wean Samuel (5.5 months) and making her own baby food.
For anyone who hasn't seen this great Christian movie - YOU REALLY MUST - it had Dave and I wiping the tears away and has such a great message for marriages.


On Monday Dave drove us to St Ives so we could check out one of the antique shops and find out when the auctions are held. When we first came back to the UK we used to regularly visit the auction rooms in Thetford and really enjoyed it. We miss it and it was great to discover that theauctions are held on Saturdays so maybe we can go to a few now and then.



Monday also happened to be market day and it was in full swing when we arrived and very busy. This stall was full of a wonderful mix of old and new - my favourite kind of browsing.


There were several interesting pieces but nothing to tempt me to buy today thanks.



We had packed a picnic lunch and headed to the river but the heavens opened just as we got to the bridge.


The blue sky in this shot is sooooo deceptive because it turned grey pretty quick. All the scorching hot sun we've been having and we get rain on our vacation time - typical!


Still the day wasn't a complete wash out since I also got to stop in at 'Capture the Magic' in Soham on our way home and picked up several lovely sheets of paper.


This is just a sneak peek at some of the papers I bought.

I absolutely love the birds and leaves on these papers and also bought a clear stamp that says 'your tweet' so I think they will make some of the cutest cards at some point. I purchased several other papers but I've already used them on a mini album project.
On Tuesday Dave and I finally managed to use a gift card my sister had given me for the cinema. We went to see Ice Age 3 in 3D and it was every bit as good as 1 & 2. The grandkids turned us on to this movie and we fell in love with it so when 2 came out we saw it and now we've seen 3. It gets my vote so if you're wondering if you should see it - DO! It was our first time at a 3D movie and it was soooooo cool!


Today we had a lazy lie in - something I almost NEVER do followed by a cooked breakfast - again something we rarely do. Then we took my mother out for a picnic in the park and as much browsing in Needham Market as she could manage; which sadly wasn't much at all so we missed out on our antique emporium but mother enjoyed getting out and it was nice seeing her.

This evening Dave went to youth group and I had a quiet craft session at home.

Tomorrow it's back to the usual routine but never mind the weekend is only 2 days away and we're picking Jess up on Saturday to come stay for a few days and having a family BBQ to say farewell to our nephew Tim before he heads back home to Texas. It's gonna be busy, busy, busy so we might be real glad to get back to work but it should all be good fun too.

No comments: