Tuesday, 17 November 2009

My First Rag Quilt!

Today I am super chuffed because I have just finished my first rag quilt - yay! It still needs washing to help fray the fringe and then drying to help fluff and soften the fringe but I will do that later. I need to take it to a launderette because otherwise the sheer volume of lint and threads could prove problematic for my washing machine and tumble dryer.




I have made this first one for Madyson, hence the pretty pink and yellow. The grandkids love to each grab a blanket and snuggle on the couch with Dave and I when they come over so I thought it was about time they had their very own snuggle quilts at Grandma's house. I have made them various different quilts and things before but I want then all to have one of these.



I already had several fabrics left over from making Maddy's crib ensemble - Vicky has been fortunate enough that 'good ol mum' has been able to make these kind of things on demand.



I purchased a fleece blanket for just under £3 at Tesco's and used it for the backing squares cos I wanted it to be super soft against Maddy's young skin. The hardest part of the project turned out to be cutting all the squares - squares of patterned fabric, squares of backing fabric and squares of batting!



Once they were all cut I had to find somewhere to lay them all out so I could work out the rows. I ended up using my bed rather than the floor and then made a sketch of the combinations in each row and numbered the rows 1 to 6. I used a total of 36 squares in all that were 8" x 8" square. Since they are only lap quilts they don't need to be full bed sized and besides Maddy is only 4 years old so if it was any bigger it might prove too heavy for her.


Then I took each square to the machine and stitched the batting in-between the backing and front squares using a diagonal line of stitching from corner to corner and then the opposite corners creating a criss-cross pattern. I am used to sewing 'production style' so I did these one right after the other creating a long line of squares and then snipped in-between and repeated for the other line until they were all done. The batting is smaller so it leaves a clear seam allowance around all four edges.



After that was all done it was easy peasy. I simply joined the squares into rows and joined the rows together. The squares are stitched with the wrong sides facing and the seams end up on the front. The whole thing looks like a project gone horribly wrong but it does work out eventually - honest.


Once the quilt is assembled you stitch around all four edges with the same width seam (3/4") and you are DONE! Actually thats when the 'snipping' starts but at least you can do this bit in front of the telly if you want to. You snip all along every single seam which will eventually create a fringe when washed and dried. THEN you are done!



I was lucky enough to find about 50 squares that will work for the boys quilts so all I need do is cut a few more (plus the backing and batting) and I can work on their quilts before Christmas. I had used these squares when I made a 'boys' play quilt for Zacheriah with pockets for cars with snaps, buttons, zips and lots of appliqued designs. It will be quite nice to use the rest of them up finally.

I think maybe Dave and I would love a lap quilt too and I'm thinkin my Cath Kidston fabric might be nice for mine. I would love to make these for friends and family for Christmas next year. It took 2 days on and off from start to finish to make this one which involved LOTS of cutting out, pressing, sewing and snipping. I did lots of things in-between so I guess you could do it in a day without interruptions.

I am conscious I have lots of projects to do right now though so I still have a busy few days ahead. Thank goodness I'm feelin up to it right now.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Suezie I absolutely love this. It's gorgeous, your going to have very happy grandchildren with keepsakes to treasure
Anne x

Anonymous said...

Okay, I took another look and finally could see how you did the seams. It takes longer as you get older! It really is pretty. Love you, Mom