Thursday, 29 July 2010

Labels

I am not new to making and selling handmade items - in fact I was a SAHM and besides a bit of child minding making things to sell was how I managed to stay at home with the kids in those early days. Up until my youngest was about 10 or 11 I was still making things to sell - and then gave it up to return to work. The only difference was that it wasn't on the internet. I had not progressed that far! In fact we didn't even own a computer until she was about 14 or 15!



I made lots of items over the years but eventually settled on lots of fancy, frilly, satin creations like this pillow which is among the collection on my bed. It's the only 'fussy' pillow - the rest are quite tasteful LOL! My youngest is now 27 and this cushion has been around for about 17 years now. It has regularly been in and out of the washing machine plus tossed to the end of the bed and back at least once a day every day since then and it still looks like new. Can you tell I'm proud of that fact?






I even had professional labels made at the time and it was such a buzz. There was MY name on MY creations! And it made all my goods look professional too. Homemade is lovely, charming in fact but it's still nice to have that personal touch that a label provides. This is one of the last remaining items that still bears my name which is why I keep it. I got rid of all the rest.




Now though I wanted to try making my own labels so yesterday I gave it a go. This is what I finally came up with. (I have since thought of something else but I may just use these ones up before making changes for the next batch).





And I have already added them to a few items that will eventually be going into the store so here's how they'll look sewn in place. My only difficulty will be where exactly to place them on each item!



I have to say I much prefer my home made labels to my earlier purchased ones. I plan to make similar labels for the paper crafted products and care labels for washing - that kind of thing so that's my aim for today. Then I have a few cards and things to finish off and I'll be up and running - hopefully by the weekend!

3 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

Hey Suezie! I LOVE that pillow! Wow, 17 years and it looks brand new? It's very pretty and I love your labels!! Great job!

Sherry Eckblad said...

Suezie I agree I LOVEEEEE your new labels. You are so multi-talented.

Rose said...

oh yea i LOVE the new lables also :) 17 years and that pillow could pass for new!! awesome :)

have you thought of adding your blog address to the label so you can be found by everyone that sees is?? just a thought :)