I am still working on perfecting the little 'craft buddy catch-all' idea I shared a while back - (this is a shot kinda looking down into the opening from above it). I lined this one with pretty polka dot fabric. I wanted the inside to look every bit as pretty as the outside even if all it's gonna hold are my scraps of rubbish!
It's a case of adjusting measurements and trying different ways to put it together. Right now I think I may have the sizing perfect so I am experimenting with the process. Once I determine the easiest and quickest way I can really get to work. This next shot is kinda looking straight on.
This one is going to be MINE all mine. It's made with some of that lovely Cath Kidston fabric Jess bought me. Well you didn't think I'd have anything else but CK for my own personal one did you? PLUS it matches the little pink bags I made for Christmas .
Oops - just realised I never actually shared much of a photo of them cos they were Christmas pressies for crafting friends and I had to keep them under wraps LOL! Here's a quick shot I just took. Mine lives on the back of my kitchen door along with other handmade aprons and stuff.
You can't see it but the lining fabric is the same as the craft buddy floral fabric - like I said it will match. AND it matches the aprons I decorated up for Amanda too. I can just see myself wearing my apron and demonstrating with my own co-ordinating 'catch all' and taking my lunch along in my co-ordinating bag - or is that a bit OTT? Nah!
Maybe I'll make me a new apron at some point with a pocket to match who knows? All this would be a nice ensemble as a Christmas pressie for Jess now that I think about it - hhmmmm? Kinda fitting too since she bought me the fabric.
Along the way there have been a few other issues to work on like better grip. I tacked some 'non-slip' mesh to the back of mine which seemed to work really well. I will be sewing this using the machine on all the others I make. Mine was already 3/4 assembled when this idea came up or it would've been machine stitched but I can just about live with that. I can be a bit OCD but since this side won't be staring me in the face I can forget about it.
Between the weight and the extra grip it's just about the best we can get. I should know I have been using the first proto-type for a little while now. I just make sure when I want to push my scraps down to make more room (only cos I'm too lazy to empty it) I hold onto the weighted end as I do it.
This is a wider mouthed version - like I say I have been experimenting. It makes it a bit too 'poofy' for my liking and makes little difference to how well it works. Plus I like a whole lot more gathers around the top so I think I know what size works best for this too. One of the things I like best about this craft buddy is that I can punch out or trim over it so my scrap bits drop right in. I already work sooooo much cleaner when I use it and it's so easy to just take it to whatever room I'm working in.
I won't be wasting this one though as I used the scraps left over from the baby quilt I made for my boss. Since Pauline and I went halves on the fabric - and since she's been holding down the fort while I've been gone - I thought I'd give this one to her. She is a paper crafter and a quilter so I'm sure she can find plenty of use for it.
Eventually I hope these will appear for sale at YTOC - exclusively of course! I have just a couple more things to fine tune but I need Dave's input. My hubby always thinks of the one thing that doesn't occur to me - funny that! Guess that's why we make such a good team huh?
There may be plans for a few other handmade items which we hope will launch at the craft show in Thetford next month so like I say - the projects are piling up. If you want to know when these 'craft buddies' are available just leave me a comment. Oh and I should say they WON'T be CK fabric (sorry girls - way too expensive!) so for now they'll be a mixture of colours and patterns because we're still sourcing fabrics but they'll all be pretty and practical - what more do you need?
Now it's a quick bite of lunch and back to the sewing machine I think.





4 comments:
Suezie, OMG girlfriend your stuff is amazing. I wish I could sew ~ I am lucky if I can remmeber how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine, which is why you haven't seen me sew on any of my cards or layouts. I am still trying to remember how. lol
WOW! This is awesome! I can't sew for the life of me! LOL! I certainly wish I could!
WOW you can sew, cook, and make cards........you ROCK girl :)
I LIKE IT, I LOVE CK TOO.
Post a Comment