We don't always make much of a fuss of this holiday. It's hubby's celebration really (if you can call it that). Kinda makes me laugh actually. The Americans fought long and hard to be liberated from the British and then what does he do? He goes and marries one LOL!
But it was especially nice to have friends over and since we had a good mix of English and American you kinda like to feel you are bringing the two nations back together again - in a good way that is. I even said that when I said grace!

He indulged me and put several decorations up in our yard - he can never understand why I like to do this but over the years I guess he's learnt not to try to understand it - just to get on and do it. Poor man gets no peace otherwise!
And then throughout the course of the morning we added a bit more here and there making the tables colour co-ordinate. I forgot to take a photo when this table was full of my lovely 'red' dishes filled with lots of yummy food including American style potato salad - the only kind I make - YUM! My daughter nabbed what was left and took it home would you believe? AND she didn't ask cos she knew I'd say NO!
Here is the man himself (this one's for mom) taking up position at his BBQ. Mom he is still using the BBQ you bought him - it's still turning out many a good one.
And for a special treat I made up a chocolate cake topped with white 'fluffy frosting' (I don't like cream) and then a mixture of 'red berries' and 'blueberries' for a red, white and blue colour scheme - very patriotic of me don't ya think?
And to make sure it was authentic American I even used a Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix (he, he). Well you didn't think I'd made it completely from scratch did ya? As my daughter would say PLLEEEAASE - get real! Except that she says it with an attitude.
Hey it doesn't matter if it's completely from scratch or just handmade - as in you opened the package and followed the directions - it's still the thought that counts right? At least that's what I'm banking on when I get my hands on the new WM 'home made' labels. Maybe if I pretty em up people won't mind that it's not from scratch - I know I sure wouldn't if someone gave me some yummies.
Anyhow hope you all had a great fourth. BIG love goes out to our family stateside mom if you'd pass it on. Thanks.
Oh and Linda - I see you!! You finally made it on as a follower of my blog - yay! See I do look!



3 comments:
all i can say is YUMMY cake!!! looks like you had a fantastic 4th.
when my daughter went to Australia for football and cheer in high school, the town had a 4th of July parade for the Americans!!
Thank you for putting this on your blog. I'm glad you had a good time. The cake looks delicous. Even if it is a mix, which is all I ever use. Love, Mom
Looks a fun time was had by all!! That cake looks YUMMY!
Post a Comment