Since I haven't mentioned the person by name I figure I can show you the apron. They may not even look at my blog (and even if they do they don't know who they are?) so I'm riskin it.
I pick up fabric and stuff all the time and this pretty rose fabric was by 'Laura Ashley'. Of course I did not pay what I would've if I purchased it at the Laura Ashley's store here in town. Mostly when I go in there it's for inspiration and then I source the materials else where to save money.
Anyhow this was so very pretty I had kept it for a special purpose such as this.
I don't have a dressmaker's dummy so I didn't really know how to photograph this. I tried stretching out my arm in front of me but that didn't work. If I'd had my head on straight I'd have photographed my mum when she tried it on for size. She thought it would be good for putting pegs in to hang up the washing and for carrying several small things up or down stairs. She has had major heart surgery, also has a pacemaker and difficulties due to a stroke (she is in her 70's mind) but this could be a real help to her. Think maybe she's next on my list.
ANYHOW - this is how it turned out and I was really pleased. Mum and I used to make aprons for WI but never one quite as lovely as this. I did lots of top stitching to make it look even more classy.
And because I made it myself I could add whatever I wanted. I love to do this bit - makes it so much more personal. Since it's a crafting apron I added a small loop so scissors could be kept close at hand. When I made my own little pink bag last Christmas I added a loop on the outside for clipping my keys onto plus a stretchy loop on the inside to keep a bottle of water upright. Such simple things that take just a few minutes more but are so worth it.
I must confess I have half a mind to keep it - I am always losing my scissors! I have my own Laura Ashley apron in a pretty strawberry fabric to match my kitchen - it's the ONLY time I splurged and bought the real macoy cos it matched the LA tiles and border I chose - (if memory serves me right they were all on sale at the time so they were closer to my kind of price). Instead I have promised to make myself a new apron just like it with my CK fabric for the pocket and trimmings AND a scissor loop. That should satisfy me for now. I am soooo spoilt!
My mum and my sister joined me for lunch in the garden today and as we talked about this apron we found more and more uses for it. I like the garden apron idea too. The pockets are just wide enough for a few hand held tools, twine etc. This would be great for tying up the plants cos your scissors would be close to hand. I regularly use a pair of scissors down on our plot. Would be a shame to get it dirty though huh?
Well now I have the pattern and now my mum wants one (plus me) it's just as well I am feeling I can sew at the machine. Something tells me my machine is going to sit at my kitchen table for a few months yet before I can put it away. Just as well I have our large garden table up outside and the awning open cos I think we're eating dinner 'al fresco' tonight then! It's such a beautiful day today - why not?
Now I'm off to make another pattern for the rest of her gift. You didn't think I'd stop there did you? Oh no! - I am the queen of co-ordination when it comes to handmade. I can't quit until I use up every single scrap making lots of lovely things to match! I think she's gonna love it!




5 comments:
FABULOUS!!!
Can I get on that Christmas list?
This is fantastic! I am a bit of an apron collector...but I don't have any with a scissor holder, how very handy and ingenious! I may have to steal this idea... thanks!
Hey There, Yes, the Snowman apron is still in use only I passed it on to Debbie since she does most of the holiday cooking now. Love the new one you made. Reminds me of the gingham ones you made years ago that I still use at times!! Love, Mom
Just a thought no one going to stab themselves with the scissors? Do like the apron, do you have a basic pattern? I'm on the look out for home made ideas myself this year.
Eunice
ok i will try to act surprised when i open it! lol girl this is such an awesome idea and again i must ask.... is there anything you can't do???? :)
Post a Comment