Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Project Tuesday Altered Frame

I had several things in mind for this week's PT project but I ended up using something completely different when the time came. I settled on a frame that I purchased last summer at a car boot sale (yard sale) for about .50p. In fact I think I paid about £1 for 3 of these frames altogether. They were Ikea frames and brand new so they were a bargain. I love a good rummage through a car boot sale (yard sale) or charity shop (thrift store) knick knack shelves - you just never know what you're gonna find.

Anyhow I decided not to paint up the wooden frame but to leave it as it was and this was my finished project.



I had a whole bunch of things come together to inspire this week's project including the scripture stamp from Verve that was in my package this week. Of course I am always inspired by this set of stamps from Waltzing Mouse - one of my favourites and then there were the delicious Cosmo Cricket papers. What's not to be inspired by?



The frame I used lent itself beautifully to a 'blocks' theme and the houses fit perfectly inside each block as did the text. I love anything kind of 'patchwork' so I knew piecing the blocks together and mixing and matching up the stitched pieces would be real fun. I cut the squares using my nestabilities dies and fit a smaller square inside the larger one to create a frame - much easier and the I was just lucky the sizing was perfect!





This was the 'naked' frame so you can see the 4 blocks just waitin to be decorated.





Here is a closer shot showing the cute 'homespun' flowers from the WM stamp set that I used to decorate the outer corners of the frame. I had such fun just sittin there and cutting away all these houses so I could mix and match the different elements up. I am really pleased with how this one turned out.




I'm not too sure what I'll do with it now that I have it. The colours don't seem to go with anything here in my house (way too bright) but I have another frame left so I might do one up for my craft room sometime. I had such fun doing this weeks project cos this is something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise.

I'm real glad I did. Hope if you play along over at Project Tuesday that you have fun too. I took a heads up from Sarah and decided to enter this along for the Allsorts challenge this week same as her.

12 comments:

KimS said...

OMG...I love this!!! Awesome job with the houses!!!! You did a wonderful job with this challenge!!!

Sarah Gough said...

This was my fav this week - I love the colours and the houses and that paper! wow! Gorgeous.

Your Touch of Craft said...

I just love your take on this Suezie.... Fab job, we luv ya xx

Rose said...

AWESOME!!! I love all the paper piecing you did and how you left the frame natural :) this scripture hangs by my front door so if you cant find a place for it you know where to send it ;) lol

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful project Suezie! I LOVE that set and how you made such an amazing project!

Have a fun week ~ Hugs, Jennifer :)

Unknown said...

Had to say love these houses and the way you have used them is fab I love Charity car boot and any where I can have a good root too! lol

Love Dawn xx

Jean Addis said...

I love the way your frame came out. It's so cute. Even though it doesn't match your home decor, it would make a fabulous gift.

Mummylade said...

such a lovely project. Thank you for joining Allsorts challenge this week and good luck. A friendly advice is to turn off word verification to make commenting easier.

Fleur said...

Hi, this is really pretty
Thanks for joining in at ALLSORTS this week Fleur xXx

Mrs B said...

Really great job on the frame this week! Those are some of my favorite stamps too!
CindyB

Sherry Eckblad said...

Suezie, love how you altered this frame.

Lisa said...

You rocked this challenge girlie! I love what you did with your frame and how the art matches!!!!