Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Clean & Simple

Ok so I've made no secret of the fact that I seriously struggle to do 'clean & simple' (CAS) card making despite the fact that this is one of the styles I most admire. Well I discovered a new blog today and I was inspired to create a CAS card that I wanted to share. Plus I wanted to share the link to the site with you all too.



I'm pretty sure I can learn how to do this style even if I have to become a bit of a 'copy cat' to get there. Here is my effort. It is a total copy from this card here (which I loved) but with a slight touch of my own.

I used flat backed pearl beads for my flowers instead of buttons, used mini black gems for the smaller flowers cos I haven't found cream ones I like yet, (I try to buy them in a bulk pack - the kind without adhesive so I have tons of the same size), I inked the edge of the patterned paper ever so slightly with black ink plus I added staples to the ribbon. Still clean and simple but a bit of me in there too. I did say SLIGHT touch.

It was so much fun stamping up this card. WHY do I not get my stamps out more? I have em so why don't I use em? I guess cos stamping was not the first craft I learnt how to do so I reach for other things first. I need something to MAKE me stamp more cos I can do this!
You can check out the site here. You can also play along and check out everyone else's efforts too.

Like a lot of crafters I check out a lot of blogs, ear mark projects for later but never get around to doing them. I could sit in front of my computer for hours checking everyone else out - a MAJOR time waster in my house. I am learning there will ALWAYS be something else to do so I just have to call 'TIME OUT' , switch off the computer for a while and create something while I'm inspired - right there and then!

I did just that when I was checking e-mails and blog hopping this morning. I was inspired by a card by SherryAnn who played the Sweet Sunday Sketch challenge with this sketch below. You can find it here. She's a fellow DT member for Project Tuesday and I was checking out her latest project when I got side tracked by her SS card and this was my take on it.


For my version I used some new papers from YTOC. They were so new I couldn't even buy a sheet yet! I had to make do with playing with them for samples instead - SHAME huh? Love playing with new stuff!

I needed a couple of samples for the store so I created another one. I think I only had about 5 half 12 x 12 sheets and yet I made a couple cards plus a scrapbook page. I could maybe do at least one more card so that's pretty good going.



I didn't have a pack of embellishments so I had to get a bit creative there too. I used my computer to create a text panel and cut out the robot for this card. I guess it gets just a little bit harder as you get down to less and less supplies.
I challenge you today to find something you've been meaning to do for a while and JUST DO IT! Failing that check out the Clean & Simple blog, pick one and have a go. I did and I had great fun doing it. Best of all CAS could also be called QAE (quick and easy) and help get a ton of cards done and ready to send (or sell). Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sasha Holloway said...

I am loving your work and that cupcake is so so cute. I was given your blog today at the scrapbook store on base from Jo.

this is such a cool card .. love it