I have to take things real easy right now - I am only day 5 post op and believe me I know it. I have already done more than I should, had way too much company too soon and overdone things. But then I knew I wouldn't be a good patient once I got home.
Anyhow as soon as I got my new stamps a while back I had a whole host of ideas running through my head. I decided to start with this one.
I have several craft books full of handmade gift ideas. They may be a bit old fashioned now but as soon as I thought of making these 'tea' bags I knew I had a recipe somewhere for the mix inside.
I immediately stopped by a fabric store after work one day last week to purchase a metre of muslin. Once I got it home I decided the stark white was way too bright and what better way to tone it down than by using some old tea bags in a bowl of water! This took just a few minutes at the kitchen sink (excuse the reflection of my blinds) and then I rinsed it and hung it out to dry.

Next I purchased some dried lavender from a local florist store for £1 a bunch over the weekend. My daughter Jessika has since given me my very own lavender plant so next year I can pick and dry it myself. I have always wanted to make 'lavender bottles' for gift giving so I'm really excited at that prospect.

It took quite a while to de-head the lavender but once I had I was ready to make a real start.

It took quite a while to de-head the lavender but once I had I was ready to make a real start.
My recipe called for lavender and porridge oats. We always have a huge supply of oats in the cupboard for homemade museli and muesli bars as well as plain old porridge & honey for breakfast. I left some of the muslin white and only dyed half in case I needed muslin for any future projects.
The book called for muslin circles tied with ribbon but since I wanted to stay with the 'tea' theme I decided to make square bags instead.
I had seen a pattern for a box which could be adapted to the size and style I wanted so I got to work creating my own template. Once I had perfected my template I knew what size I needed to make my bags - 3.5" square - my box was 3.75" square. I set to at the sewing machine and made 4 square bags with ribbon strings to hang them over the taps (the bath water runs through them creating a soothing bath to soak in). The 'soothe away the day' tags finished them off perfectly. All I needed was the finished box to put them in.
This was where I had to leave it before going into hospital but I was keen to get back to it. I am trying to have a restful weekend since every day home from hospital has been far busier than it should've been. It took me most of the day on & off today but I finally managed to make the box and decorate it.

This is the finished result. I even managed to find some paper that looked a bit like lavender! It was from HOTP and was called 'purple fern' but it still works. It's been in my stash for a few years I think so it's always nice to use up something that old.
I used a kraft coloured cardstock for the box base and parts of the front decoration as well.






No comments:
Post a Comment