Sunday, 26 April 2009

Grandma's Dish & Yummy Croutons

I rearranged my day off for Friday this week to make a hospital appointment but since it wasn't until the afternoon I busied myself at home in the morning. Besides doing several loads of laundry and some house cleaning (the usual kinda stuff) I decided to use up a french stick that was either going to have to be eaten or thrown away.



I absolutely love making homemade soups - curried parsnip is my favourite and ham & beans is Dave's - and I love croutons in my soup. Making home made croutons isn't rocket science but I've never bothered until now. I made garlic and herb croutons.

They turned out perfect and were yummy! I know it's no longer soup weather but hey they taste pretty good on salads too. I am always looking for quick and easy things to make at home that I can throw in the freezer and grab when I need them. Last weekend I made several bread puddings for the freezer too. I love my bread (and it shows).

I realised as I was taking a quick snapshot that I had put them in Grandma's bowl. It's hard to see the detail but it's got engraved leaves and flowers all over it. The lid is really pretty too (not pictured). Mom was digging in her kitchen cupboard and when I saw it I thought it was really pretty and put 'dibs' on it. Rather than wait mom let me bring it back home.

See mom it made it back just fine and I promise to take real good care of it. I want to pass it on same as you. Remind me again - was it Grandma Howard or Grandma Hood's dish?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you are putting the old bowl to use. It belonged to my mom. I know its found a good home. Love You