Sunday, 19 December 2010

Room Revamp (sorry likely to BORE!)

Thanks to my darling hubby my room revamp is well under way and so far so good.  I'm determined NOT to bore anyone out there with picture after picture and day by day updates - trust me I've had my e-mail box full of that kind of thing but I will share a couple of early pictures and then maybe a finished one WAY down the line.

First of all I wanted to share my 'vision'.  I'm big on sketching out things - although NOT very good at it.  It also helps me share what's in my head with my hubby who just doesn't see it otherwise - he ends up shaking his head at me - in fact he shakes his head at me about most things. LOL!  Gotta love im' - and I do :-)


The top sketch is the main crafting side of the room and in case you can't see it - in big letters I've written DE-CLUTTER!!! across the centre.  This is my goal!  The other side will have a couch and a bit more storage as well as some pretty wall decoration.  We need a nice place to display DH dad's flag and my sister-in-love gave me a lovely Thomas Kinkade picture we have yet to find a happy home for so I have a slightly 'Americana' theme and colours in mind.  They will work nicely with several things we already have so it's do-able within a non-existent budget and with some family pieces added I'm hoping it will feel a little like 'home' (what we still think of as home anyways).

The desk area is already in situ underneath these cupboards.  DH originally built it out of reclaimed furniture and it's in a 'L' shape but I'm halving and streamlining it and incorporating my paper racks to just the one desk.  My shelves directly under the cupboards are also staying because I have lovely long wicker baskets that store all my punches and things.  It's always been super easy for me to grab them down onto the desktop if I need to and they go back neatly and easily. 

My aim is to remove from site anything that doesn't serve a purpose and look good on show so ALL the wicker baskets stay.  Plus I've discovered the only things in my existing craft room that stay tidy and organised (or are at least easy to tidy up) are the things that have a 'home' so this is my starting point.  I've also discovered that the MORE space I have the MORE space I can mess up too LOL!


I've managed to unload just 1 box so far and I know I'm gonna arrange and re-arrange the contents of these cupboards again and again before I'm satisfied.  They're smaller in height and depth than my last ones so I want to make use of every possible space.  This is just me getting a feel for what they'll look like right now but believe me this kinda thing could keep me occupied for many an hour just shifting things from here to there.  This is the kind of thing hubby's military background is good for - he'd have it done in a flash and all fitting perfectly together too but darn it! - it's MY room and I want to do it!


These are some of the few things that have always stayed organised - boxes, labelled containers that kind of thing so once I know what's staying and what's going hopefully every cupboard will look something like this inside (just more full).  I HAVE to get serious about this so we can reclaim the room - AND my kitchen table since I mostly craft there cos my room is such a mess!


My room is very much about re-purposing things - it has to be cos we have a budget of practically nothing to do this with.  Despite having several days of work DH is still job hunting so now's not a good time to be spending money on this kind of thing; but I think we can pull this out of the hat just fine without except maybe the couch and that will be later anyhow.  When my mother had a new kitchen fitted I promptly reclaimed some of her cabinets which is what got the ball rolling again and I think they look surprisingly neat all lined up along one wall.  DH still has to adjust doors and the of course there's the rest of the room to do yet and maybe when it's all finished I'll decide if the doors stay or need replacing.  I have to see the whole thing first before changing anything.

I hope to make new curtains from old and get my hands dirty with paint at some point - same colour scheme - just a fresh coat and maybe by then it'll be done but that's likely to be several months down the line.  I have massive amounts of craft stuff to sort through first.  I can feel a car boot sale coming on as soon as the weather's good - any money I can add to the revamp budget has gotta be good huh? 

Something tells me I might also be very glad to finally be rid of some of this clutter!  My new motto should be 'if I don't use it (won't use it, haven't used it) I can lose it!'.  Words to live by.

1 comment:

Rose said...

I for one would love to see step by step photos :)
girl your game plan looks fantastic and i love the basket idea.
good job on organiaizing so far and don't let hubby do it or you will never know where anything is! *wink wink*
my entire craft area is from "re-purposed" items and it works for me which is the most important, and left me more cash to shop for paper! lol
fantastic words to live by, let me know if they work and i might try it *wink wink*
Good luck on your project :) and have a wonderful Christmas