I needed something fairly gentle to do today and Jilly came up with an outing to a place called Harveys. It's an outdoor garden centre on the outskirts of Thurston village that has a quaint little restaurant called the Orchard Room that serves traditional afternoon teas. We went in the morning so we didn't get the pretty cake stands and full afternoon tea treatment but it didn't stop us having tea and cake for elevenses!

One of the waitresses kindly took our photo. Admittedly we may not like the way we look but this is Jilly and I and if I don't preserve some of these fun memories with photos we wont have them to look back on when we're old and grey. One of the nicest things about Jilly and I is that we were at school together so we are the same age. That means we can compare all the same aches and pains, grey hairs (yes we both are starting to show grey) and changes to our bodies. Doesn't that just sound wonderful?!
On looking at this shot (which we took for fun) we couldn't believe neither of us had our 'pinky' out! Shame on us.
There was a little corner dedicated to handcrafts so we stopped and had a good look before we took a gentle turn in the beautiful grounds. There were free range chickens that lay eggs for the restaurant. They even detailed all the garden crops they were currently serving in meals on the menu so they take their gardening seriously. So much so they have won awards at the Chelsea Flower Show 4 years in a row.
Just outside the french doors were fruit trees and pretty garden tables. Couldn't you just imagine dressing up in a summery dress and hat and 'taking afternoon tea' sitting here in the garden with all your girlfriends?

After a turn around the garden it was time to head back home but not before I visited the smallest room in the house. There were so many interesting (and different) details to take in here at Harvey's - not least of which was the array of old time garden magazines that covered the walls in you know where! Such an interesting place and well worth a visit.
Well tomorrow is another weekend and I have hubby for company. I am trying to get a bit of walking in to help strengthen my muscles but I forget week 5 is only just coming to an end and I still have a ways to go yet. Jilly is doing a grand job helping me to walk. Now I'm actually headed off for a lie down to let those muscles relax some!



1 comment:
what a beautiful area you have to stroll around!! you rest and take it easy :)
Post a Comment