Monday, 26 April 2010

Project Tuesday 27 April

Well it's that time again folks! I had just a couple of hours this evening to get my project done for PROJECT TUESDAY this week. I had several things lying around on the table such as papers with a delicate pink and almost buttermilk yellow colour scheme, a flower die (that I had recently borrowed from YTOC), lace and an almost pink/peach coloured ink pad. That was my starting point this week.


Like most weeks I know what I want to create with my project - at least I get an idea fixed firmly in my head and once it's there I build on it. I had tried this frame technique some months ago when I made a cute red & blue frame during a demo day. I liked that idea then and I like it now so I knew it had to be a framed quote. This is how it finally turned out.



These colours look much brighter with the flash. If I made my projects on time I could photgraph them in natural daylight but since it's dark outside I had to make do like most weeks.
I was leaning towards a baby girl theme (probably cos I was supposed to be doing a baby card right about now) but I decided to go with this quote. My mother's b'day is comin up in June and I thought she'd like it.
I decided to get a bit sneaky with my paper this week. This was the last sheet left when I purchased it and I wanted to save some. I started with a 10" x 10" square which meant I had two 2" strips - perfect for a card. I folded up my frame then opened it back up and cut a good sized square out of the back so I have enough paper to decorate up a box lid or something.
I used nestabilities dies all over this project but because I didn't have one big enough to fit my project (the first creamy yellow scallop) I cut scalloped squares, cut them in half diagonally and placed them behind the triangular flaps. I then trimmed them flush before securing everything in place.

Even up close this looks neat and tidy cos I made sure I covered over the joins with another layer. I used glue dots to secure my ribbon and lace twisting it as I went along. This shot shows just a glimpse of the depth to the whole thing. I used foam pads on most layers including several of the flower layers too.
I cut the leaves free hand, spritzed them with water so I could get a really nice scrunch to them and set them on the heater to dry quickly - I only had a couple of hours remember! I inked pretty much everything in sight including the leaves and finally I printed off the quote with a light charcoal coloured ink so it would be a bit softer.
I plan on adding a backing. Not sure if I'll use poster board in a cream or something else but I will mount it and add ribbon or something to hang it with. I guess it could stand with a small clear plastic photo/plate stand thingy too.
I still have my baby card to do and I think I might try this technique on a card next. Why not have a go yourself and see what you can come up with. Hopefully I have inspired some of you to play along with us this week. You can check out the other DT members and their projects plus get details for the frame here.
I am also entering this flower into the SASSY DESIGNS challenge this week. If you haven't had a go at making a flower yet check it out here for a tutorial and details of the challenge. I have made a few of these ones now. I used a Sizzix Hello Kitty die would you believe? Add a bit of curling, inking and layering up - who needs to buy flowers when you can make one!

10 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

This is gorgeous and I LOVE that sentiment!! BEAUTIFUL!

Sherry Eckblad said...

As Karen said this is absolutely gorgeous. Love the flower and the sentiment. I am sure your Mom will love it.

Pink Blossom Creations said...

This is beautiful, I love that fact it looks so delicate
Caroline x

Jean Addis said...

What a beauty, Suezie. This is so feminine and pretty. I love all the embellishments.

Sarah Gough said...

This is gorgeous girlfriend! It makes a wonderful frame for a quote!

KimS said...

How gorgeous!!!! Love the ribbon and the lace!!

Mummylade said...

that is fantastic! Love the ribbon. Thank you so much for entering DCD this week and good luck. And btw, I don't know if you've noticed but you have word verification enabled...

Rose said...

gorgeous!! and way to use your paper wisely :)

vikkithescrapjunkie said...

Thankyou for joining in the DCD challenge with your beautiful card, Your handmade flowers are gorgeous.
Love n hugs
Vikki xx

Nicola said...

Gorgeous card and colour combo, your hand made flowers are beautiful.
Thank you so much for joining us at Die Cut Dreams.
Hugs,
Nicola -x-