Sunday, 25 January 2009

My First Page Map Design

Well I can finally post the first of what I hope will be many pages using the 'Page Maps' concept. I knew I wanted to do a page of Maddy getting her ears pierced for her 4th b'day pressie. I also knew I wanted to call it 'the TRUE cost of beauty' - meaning the tears (pain) as well as financial cost. What we women go through huh!

I get so busy crafting for classes and since I don't teach scrapbooking any more, actually doing a page has become a rare thing for me these days. I just don't always have time left for scrapbooking so I am really going to appreciate having this book. I also love that I can put whatever twist of my own I want to on my page. The 'page map' is simply a tool to help me find an easier starting place - time saving too. Sometimes my creative juices need alittle help to get flowing, especially after a whole bunch of designing for everyone else.


I've always loved doing neat things with text on my computer so I loved the idea of adding a round title. I created the text in a circle on white cardstock, made it pink, cut it out, added it to the page and then built up the layers inside and out all around it. These stickers were on my 'inspirations' board (everyone should have one) so I knew I was going to use them. I added the pink diamantes to mimick her pretty little pink crystal studs.


The colour scheme may be a bit bright but it was both the freebie stickers from Maddy's ear piercing (never be afraid to ask for something) and the colour of Maddy's clothes that got me started. Next came the paper - 'doodlebug' - one of my favourites of course! After that everything just started falling into place. I provided an overview of Maddy's emotions in my journaling by making a few words pink instead of brown to highlight them.
I mimicked the floral paper by adding some fun punched flowers here and there. I even used a pink pen to add some 'doodled' scalloped loops along the edge of the pink paper - such fun! (I also happen to love doodling).

I wanted to add the reciept as a keepsake and also to add a few more photos without having to do a second page so I created a little album hidden behind the photo on the left of the page. I tied it simply with a scrap of ribbon that stay nicely in a loose knot and a teeny tiny tag that says 'open' inviting the onlooker to untie the knot and see what lies beneath.
If I'm honset the page is much brighter than I would like and different to what I would normally do but I enjoyed moving in a different direction for a change. between the scrapbooking while on holiday and a bit more since returning I am re-discovering my love for scrapbooking all over again.

No comments: