Monday, 18 April 2011

TGFW! A Post for Family (with love)

Thank Goodness For Weekends that is!  I don't know how we'd get anything done if it wasn't for the weekends.  And this one was a typical busy one.  True, I may have been left out of a few things (still not walking good enough just yet) but when I could join in I did and I enjoyed the chance to get out of the house.

Hubby drove us to the allotment for a family BBQ and some outdoor fun as well as hard work.  Okay so I pretty much sat in a chair and directed everyone but hey - somebody had to do it LOL!  Besides it makes up for the last time when I had to sit at the tap and scrub the plastic bottles clean.  What an exciting job that was - not!


Our eldest grandson had a footie game in the morning while everyone else was at church (I missed out on both) which is why he was still in his gear but it didn't take him long to get stuck right in.



It wasn't hard to find jobs for everyone either as there is always lots to be done.



We have lots of seedlings that are ready to go into the ground so I even managed to find a job that mummy and Maddy could do together while I sat and gave advice.



Maddy looked really pretty in her cropped jeans, floral shift top and those bright pink wellington boots!  Perhaps not quite garden wear?  She really enjoyed making the holes for the beetroot that we're running down between the beans and peas this year.  See how clean those bottles are?  We have some good friends who keep these for us and they're like little mini green houses as well as protection from pesky birds.

I have even put my sewing skills to good use by sewing channels in poly plastic so we can run thick wire through and use 'home made' poly tunnels to protect plants.  Pull the wire out and fold the plastic up and they store away each year real easy.  That's my gardening 'top tip' for the day LOL!



I have been after hubby to put a small bit of patio onto the plot for the last couple of years but until now he hasn't.  He pretty much had to do it this year if he wanted me to be able to sit and keep him company.  I needed a flat surface so I wouldn't feel so giddy but it made a nice space to have lunch - BBQ'd hot dogs.  We have teh chairs and the mini BBQ so all we need now is a table!  Taking a break helped us keep the kids busy for about two and half hours good work. Not bad going I'd say.  Dave can use all the help he can get since I'm not much use so far.


Hubby also built me a 'salad box' this year.  Part of the whole 'ethos' of having an allotment is to make and do.  No matter how 'pretty' I'd like it to look - it just doesn't work that way.  This single shower door was inherited when our daughter got the plot and it's only taken 5 years to get hubby to make it into a salad box LOL!  But it's made from scraps of wooden decking and I love it.  He even took the paving slabs along the front to make it easier for me to sit and work in it.  How sweet is that?



And Zach kindly watered my babies for me :-)  Hey they may look small right now but give them a couple of weeks and this box will be full.



 And later that day we narrowly missed a trip to A & E when Kaleb fell out of a tree - he was sore but VERY lucky.  It meant that we had enough daylight hours left to go to Jilly's to drag her tent down from the loft.  Dave is already thinking 'camp prep' - August is only 4 months away and we need as many tents for the youth as we can get. 



Again, I sat this one out (seemed to be worse by evening) and just directed these guys - both of whom are my best friends and I just love that we all get along so well and have done for many years.  They were sooooo funny to watch - you'd have had to be there but it was a riot - especially watching  them struggle LOL!  Shame on me I know.


The thought of anyone in this bright orange and yellow tent was funny too and those dated 'yellow nylon daisy' curtains - well - need I say more?  Well it made us all laugh but hey it may be an oldie but it sure was a goodie!


Jilly's dog Barney was a big help - not!  He thought it was great fun having so much excitement in his back yard - until the tent was up that is.  I think once the tent was up he was a little unsure.  He took us all by surprise - especially Jilly when he jumped up onto her lap! He seemed to need to sit with her for a while.  Dave's teasing couldn't have had anything to do with it could it? - he's a sucker for a dog!  Sometimes I'm really sorry we don't have one when I see him having so much fun with Barney.

All in all I lapped up the good company and the fresh outdoor air - even if it did come with limitations and truth be told I think we really love our busy weekends too - always have. Bring on the next one I say!

Sorry the post is so long.   Hope family back home enjoy!  Big HUGS

Suezie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pics, Lots of Love & Hugs,Big Sis...

Rose said...

looks like you all had a wonderful day :)
**great job on the supervising** lol

jessika said...

awhh, i like this post the best! one of my favorets now.