Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Sewing Kind of Afternoon

Yesterday I needed a 'sittin down' kinda day so I decided to whip up an easy sewing project that I've had in mind to do for some time now. I have some lovely fabric scraps I've been generating over the past year.  We're expecting a new 'great niece' - in fact our first now that I think about it (yay!).  It's hard to think of myself as a Great Aunty - 'great' anything actually LOL! - but I am and it's quite exciting expecting this new little pink bundle in the family.

Anyhow I needed an 'easy to post' gift so this pretty little quilted blanket was perfect - pretty, practical, soft and VERY light weight.  The baby's due in August so it needs to be light.  It'll be perfect for laying out on a lawn or rug and for those trips to Grandma's house.


I mixed in lots of lovely Cath Kidston scraps and chose a 'strip quilt' design to make the most of my thin scraps.  This went together in an afternoon.  I just stitched about 4 short seams to create each strip and then stitched the strips together one long seam at a time until I thought the quilt was large enough - well square actually.  It measures 3 ft x 3 ft which is plenty big enough and it folds down easily to about 9" x 9" - small enough to fit in a bag or under a buggy.  I might just make a bag to store it in with enough room for wipes, a couple of diapers and a bottle - perfect for short trips.


 
Since I wanted it to be soft and light I decided to omit the batting and chose to use a fleece backing.  Can I share a 'top tip' with you?  Rather than use fleece by the metre (about £5.99+ per metre)  I had hubby help me pick up an inexpensive fleece throw at my local supermarket - less than £3 - and I have leftover!  This is so, so much easier.  I love to re-purpose things too so I was in my element here.



I kept construction simple and turned the blanket inside out after stitching around the edges.  I machine stitched first along the rows and then top stitched around all four edges to complete it.  This should wash 'n' wear extremely well so hopefully our niece will get plenty of years use out of it.  If I make a bag then I just might make a few burp cloths today as well. 



 Hopefully you can see the detail in this shot.  Years ago when we had our first daughter the church we belonged to presented us with a quilt - the ladies of the church gathered together to make simple square quilts with or without batting depending on the time of year (she was born in December) and fleece backing and then presented them to all new babies born in the church family.  This quilt is a perfect project for this, quick, easy and many hands make light work so you could whip several out easily - even for beginners!  It would be soooo easy to do a fabric drive and ask for donations of inexpensive fleece throws. 

They'd be perfect 'lap quilts' for elderly or sick members too - what a lovely outreach project this would make.  One of these years I just might get a sewing circle together or maybe teach those sewing classes I've always wanted to do.

Hope it inspires!  Blessings

Suezie

3 comments:

Karen Wilson said...

You seriously "whipped this up"? are you kidding me?? WOW! gorgeous!

congrats on your upcoming family addition!

Anne said...

Suezie this is such a beautiful gift. All the more so because Aunty made it:)
Anne x

Rose said...

almost makes me wish i was having a baby!! lol
this is so sweet :)