Jilly and I had planned to have a go at a small posy pedestal arrangement and since she has done several flower arranging courses and classes I consider her the expert. Fortunately for me she's my bestie and really loves me so she was even willing to brace herself for the worst. I'm not kidding when I say the ugly side of me can sometimes come out during these floral episodes. In fact you'd wonder why I even bother. The fact is that I love flower arrangements and I soooo want to be able to do them, even if like my limited crochet knowledge, it's just a couple of things; I'd still like to be able to do enough to hold my own.
With that in mind and a bunch of practise flowers at the ready Jilly and I took a walk around the neighbourhood and picked a selection of what she called 'foliage and fillers'. Some came from the houses in our cul de sac and some from nearby wooded areas. I have 8 to make for a baptism this Sunday and we're on a tight budget here!
I keep a white plastic portable table in the house for my floral projects and generally work in our carport. We laid out a blanket to protect Jilly's car and spread out our greenery. I would usuallymake hubby move our car and lay things out on the ground but as Jilly had her car parked and can't cope with alot of bending down we used the bonnet of her car. I need to remember this tip and save my own back next time.
My daughter and I picked up these clean white ceramic pedestal dishes at a charity store for just .50p each which is why we bought all 8 of them. We are experimenting with various methods of attaching the oasis right now but for our first attempt we used florist tape - not my first choice I must say - that was my first paddy! I got over it eventually. Jilly gentle reassured me we wouldn't be able to see the tape once we were finished.
I had intended to take 'step by step' pictures but got quite carried away once I started. I picked up several tips from Jilly and whilst this isn't the best of shots it shows how we built up the pretty posy. On the day ours will be a light blue, white and maybe yellow combination of sorts for a boy.
And I apologise for the small photo (couldn't get it to enlarge for some reason) but this is the finished arrangement. Looking at it now it's a bit over green on the left side but a trim here and there would fix that. For my first effort I think it turned out pretty good. Some of my flowers are a bit large but they were some left over from a bouquet for my daughter that she said I could play with so I used what I had to get the general idea. I'm sure when I do them for real I will be able to improve on this.
And today I got to take a look inside this amazing building - the Unitarian meeting house which is a building I walk past every day on my way home. We were checking it out for a wedding reception for my nephew. He is actually getting married in the Atheneum in the center of town but needs a venue for the reception in the same area. This is just minues away and a very short walk and is incredibly old and full of character inside and out.
The windows alone are incredibly huge and there is a staircase on either side that leads up to a balcony above. Needless to say we were incredibly impressed and I for one hope that he books it. The pillars were just crying out for some kind of decoration - bunting, swirled flowers, twinkling lights - oh I am already running amuck with ideas. Whereever we end up we're hoping to recycle and reuse the white pedestal dishes and do table centerpieces so I will get plenty of practise.
Now, I'm off to add a few photos to my FB page so Tim can check out what his clever Auntie can do LOL! Plus I'm hoping to make the doily bunting this evening because tomorrow I have quiches and cupcakes to make and then a cake to decorate. I plan to make a pair of high top sneakers to go on the cake so will share how I get on with that project - something else that takes me out of my comfort zone!
Wasn't the weather today wonderful? Hope you had the chance to get out and enjoy the sunshine.
Blessings
Suezie






No comments:
Post a Comment