I took an opportunity to drop in and visit the T & C just before Christmas and was very impressed. Of course the lovely array of cakes and sandwiches made a big impression on me too LOL.
Here are the ladies rounding off the afternoon with tea, cakes and sandwiches. My mother is to the left (in black) with her back to me as I took this picture. The average age is 70 plus but I wouldn't be surprised to find there are one or two who might be 80 plus!
We began the session with some gentle exercises which I was encouraged to join in. Yes I might well have been there just to do a craft session but I'm usually up for a bit of fun. We did some stretching exercises (wish I'd gotten my camera out then). I got to do the ,bean' exercises my mother told me about.
There was the string bean - where you had to raise your arms and stretch up as though being pulled up by a string. Then there was the broad bean - where you had to stretch your arms out to the sides. Next was the runner bean - which involved gentle running on the spot, then the baked bean - this involved crouching down and curling up in a ball and finally there was the microwaved bean which was the best one. This last one involved swinging your arms to the left and rotating until our instructor said 'ping'! Who knew being a bean could be so much fun LOL!!!
So this is what my mother gets up to at her little group. I would love to help out at a group like this one. It's almost a shame I have to work.
And this is the little card we made. I know it's very basic and not too fussy but it had to be easy for all levels. I had already added the background paper and the ladies just had to add the doily, then a strip of paper, then a paper ribbon and stamped paper bow - I was unsure if they would cope with real ribbon and bows. Sometimes our hands don't do what we want them to do especially as we get older. Next it was adding a scalloped circle, then a pre-stamped and coloured image from Waltzing Mouse stamps. I don't actually own this set and have borrowed it from friends - it's good to have friends with WM stamps. I just might have to get this little set - it's super sweet.
Lastly they had a sentiment to add and then just so they could have the experience stamping I let them stamp up their liners themselves with a message of their choice. I presented Daphne, the organiser of the group with my sample card to keep.
I thoroughly enjoyed my exercise, my chance to teach and also talk a bit about 'Caring for Life' (which was the charity I chose for my fee to go to) and the yummy cakes afterwards, especially the carrot cake. The minister even came along and told a brief story - almost as though he were telling it to a group of children but he had such enthusiasm it was lovely to see and hear.
What a lovely way to spend an afternoon, plus I got in a nice long walk for exercise too. I'm still fighting a sore throat and cough but I believe the fresh air today did me good. I'm dosing up with Vics and paracetamol again before bed this evening. It has to go eventually.
Hope you do something nice this week. Hugs
Suezie



No comments:
Post a Comment