Sunday, 16 January 2011

Lovin' My Scraps! (and a template)

I may not have finished my room yet - trust me - I haven't shown you ALL the photos - way too much mess!  I have to say tho' that the short amount of time spent crafting in there is a real joy right now.  It comes out, gets used and goes right back again.  And even if it doesn't go back straight away it takes only a matter of seconds to put it where it lives.  THIS is the goal I need to keep uppermost in my mind as I organise the rest huh?

Anyhow I DO have time for a bit of 'net surfing' for craft inspirations - a girl has to take a break from all this organising - don't want to lose the will to live/craft here ya know LOL.  I ran across this card tutorial and template for a birthday cake & candles on Heather's blog here  (sure hope she doesn't mind that I'm spreading the word).  Just love her blog name - too, too cute and I'd love for you to go check her out.  This was my version.

She does a series of super quick cards that would help you stock up your card box in a jiffy - so cute & fun -  GO check it out seriously! Since I was in the mood to play I decided to add a bit more - besides I wanted to make this card mine so I used lots of quick easy techniques to achieve the look I wanted.

Heather shares the basic template and instructions for the cake so I simply printed it off and cut each piece out.  Then in true 'Suezie style' I inked around all the edges.  Think this has to be in my top 3 favourite techniques.  Then I added pen detailing and created a block, kinda like a giant topper.


Once I had my block it was a case of layering up different elements on my card like a ribbon and a tiny scrap of BoBunny polka dot paper cut out with a Sizzix top note die (trimmed straight on the edges), a quick bit of computer generated text and finally some bling - a voila!

Best of all is that EVERY single piece of this card - except the basic white card it's all mounted on - came from my scrap box.  I just flicked through the dividers, grabbed a few scraps I thought worked together and that was it.  Even the ribbon was a scrap. I am MEGGA chuffed about that cos if I make another one (and I'm certain I will) it will use up even more scraps!  Thank you soooooo much Heather and I haven't even attempted the flower one on the same template yet.  Next time maybe.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. 

Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Suezie, it helps with a template and your ideas are great as always!

Rose said...

perfect-o!!! such a fun card :)

Karen Wilson said...

Great card Suezie! I'll have to go back over a few posts when I have a minute to see your pics!! Hope all is well!