Sunday, 21 September 2008

Women's Breakfast

As part of the Crafty Women group at our church we try to add events into the calendar that allow us to come together and enjoy good food and good company. We have had great success with these events because it's just so lovely to have the opportunity to sit, relax, eat good food and enjoy chatting to everyone.


On Saturday we had our third Women's Breakfast and only the second at our church.


God is really blessing us with this breakfast event and I hope we can eventually invite a speaker along. I cooked with Tracey and after a somewhat frantic 10 minutes in the kitchen I decided we needed to take time to pray. We took ourselves off into the creche across the foyer and spent a few minutes inviting God into our day, our plans and our presence.


Boy what a difference prayer makes! I set places for 18 people and only a few had turned up. Within moments of finishing prayer the door opened and kept opening as more and more women arrived and by the time Tracey and I took our seats there was only 1 place left. Within a few minutes of my sitting down a late arrival showed up and filled that place too.


EVERY SEAT PREPARED WAS FILLED!!! More than that nobody else turned up after this so we had exactly the right amount proving that if we honour God and include him we need not worry about all the details. How cool is that!


These breakfasts take a good deal of prep work to get everything ready and then a couple of willing ladies to cook and serve the food. We ask one member from each table to act as hostess with duties such as introducing the ladies to each other, pouring the tea and being available to assist if anyone needs anything. We begin with a simple grace and follow with plenty of food and conversation.




We (that is I) manage to set up tables the night before and it took me over two hours to get them all set up. I think as this event is growing we will need to get a 'set up' party organised to help make this task quicker and easier - and more fun too - I put on music and sing while I work which is lovely - at least I enjoy it.



I don't have a dining room at home so I love setting up the tables. We use plain white dinnerware and the dainty cups and saucers we recently discovered in a cupboard. It's hard to get everything to match but I aim to have all items on each table match so it takes a while sorting through the cutlery to find sets.





I am not particularly good with flowers but I always add some to the cart when I shop for these events and I have a go. I suffer from hay fever so I don't go overboard but I do ok.

We have about 4 different menus so far for the breakfast and this one included homemade muesli, toasted English muffins, pancakes and syrup, banana and strawberry smoothie as well as the usual fruit selections and tea and coffee. Each one is designed to be simple to prepare and serve and to allow the ladies to have any or all of the items on the menu in as much quantity as we have.

The next menu will have porridge and syrup and an American favourite of mine (although I eat a vegetarian version), sausage gravy and biscuits - yum!

We still have some fine tuning to do yet. I haven't managed to find the white round tablecloths that I believe are lurking in the church somewhere so we may have to buy new ones. We need a further table as the round ones really help everyone see and chat to each other and we are saving towards that. This would help the luncheon club and our craft evenings as well as we need space to work on them. I'd like to make several aprons for our ladies to use so visitors know who to approach if they need anything (and so we are a well presented team) and I believe we can invite women speakers if these events hold their own. I have faith!

No comments: