Saturday, 19 January 2008

Create Special Moments

A few years back I read a book by Joyce Meyers entitled 'Look Good, Feel Great' which has stayed with me (at least parts of it have). Joyce talks about treating yourself and making yourself feel special. This inevitably spills over to others.



I knew my friend Jill was coming to visit on my day off this week so I 'set the table' for us.


She was really pleased and we both felt very 'special' - how nice was that!


A couple of Christmases ago my sister Gillian surprised me with a Portmeirion teapot and a cup and saucer in this lovely Strawberry Fair design - wow how generous was she! I then felt really special to have received such a lovely gift. I have been trying to collect pieces ever since which is a real struggle since nobody stocks this design and I end up waiting months for an order.

I still have the creamer and sugar bowl on order - I cheated and used plain ones (hiding behind teapot) - but I finally have enough for tea with a friend. That's exactly what we did. In fact we decided that next time I go to Jilly's she's gonna get her 'best' out and treat us both again! Now I'm working towards enough of the set for 'lunch'.

Actually this Christmas I got my eldest daughter started with the Portmeirion 'Crazy daisy' design this year so we can both collect. It's very modern, funky, kinda retro and in a whole combination of beautiful colours.

I want to say just a couple of things:

1. Thanks so much Gillian for getting me starting collecting these.

2. If you haven't treated yourself as someone 'special' in a while - don't delay a moment longer

3. Treat someone else that could use the 'cheer me up'.

4. Slow down a while, make time for tea and enjoy life - Lord knows we work hard enough for it.

P.S Anyone else remember Sunday afternoon's as a child? After mum cooked a BIG Sunday roast dinner, teatime became plates of sandwiches, sliced cake and a full teapot surrounded by cups and saucers. I can still picture the tea service that Great Aunty Dolly gave my mother and that came out at her evey visit, along with Anchor butter and teacakes - yum! No wonder we all loved Aunty Dolly's visits.

No comments: