I actually needed to make cards for some young people who were being baptised at our church and thought it would just be too time consuming so I came up with this idea instead and that's how they were born.
I gathered up a whole bunch of sentiments including some from Waltzing Mouse and even a few scripture 'plain janes' from Verve. Next up I gathered a whole bunch of scrap papers and my sewing machine and a bookmark idea was born.
Once I had the size I wanted (7 3/4" x 2") I cut several from thin white note paper. Next I placed double sided tape along the centre and added pieces of paper and a verse until the strip was full. I trimmed it up as necessary. Next I used a zig zag stitch across the joins and then mounted them onto card stock and trimmed to leave a small border around all edges.
Once mounted I used an acetate on top and stitched through all the layers with machine stitching. Finally I added a 3/4" eyelet to the lower edge, added ribbon and then rounded off the corners with a Bind It All corner rounder for thick layers. It seemed to go through the acetate and card stock layers pretty easily.
These are a couple of 'his & hers' ones I made the other day and dropped off at a neightbours house for her and her hubby. They immediately tucked them into the books they were both reading at the time so I was super chuffed that they liked them.
This was actually how they started life and then I developed them from there, eventually adding the acetate layer so they were 'wipe clean', sturdy and protected from any kind of smudging or stitches unravelling with use. I love how I managed to perfect them and I even made a few 'comic book' character ones for a few kiddies I know. I forgot to photograph those so maybe I'll make up a couple for the grandkids for this Friday and share a picture or two when I do.
I'm toying with an idea for a little 'purse' notebook using a similar technique as this 'patchwork paper'. If I manage to get one done I'll share it here on the blog.
Hugs
Suezie





No comments:
Post a Comment