Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Using My Vintage Linens

I have been meaning to share this project with you for a while now but it's taken until I have a week off work to actually get around to it.  Better late than never I guess huh?

Whilst I collect vintage linens I always mean to get around to actually using them but bringing myself to cut into any of them means I mostly collect (and drool over them LOL) and take them out to look at them (caress them really) and then put them away again - all the while telling myself they're just too precious to use or that I'm saving them for just the right project.

Well I finally found a project that warranted cutting into my stash and here it is.  It's actually a 'pillowcase' bag so technically I only used a single pillowcase - the sheet is still very much in tact (phew!).  This was a set that was in absolute pristeen condition despite the age.  Often this is because they've sat in the back of someone's cupboard for several years, unused and unloved which is really sad.

 
I made a few changes to the design to suit my needs and because I liked the bag better this way.  I found this project via Pinterest - you can check out my boards here or you can follow this link to the original site to see how to make one of these bags.  I was scouring the net looking for pillowcase projects for a gal at church who's going to Africa this year to visit West Special School.  She's taking old hand crank sewing machines along and was looking for easy sewing ideas.

 
If you look closely you can just about see the criss-cross seam (diagonally) where the two halves overlap.  I decided to line my bag so I cut a rectangle of bright pink fabric the same size as my pillow case, stitched it down one side to form a tube (open at both short ends) and then cut it diagonally.  I then stitched each floral piece to the bright pink and turned right sides out before assembling the bag.  I used a french seam at the bottom of the bag so there were no raw edges in this project and for added strength.

 
And do you see that great big knot at the top?  Well you know how a pillow case has a kind of 'tuck in' flap on the inside?  I trimmed mine away but reserved it and boy am I ever glad I did!  Once the bag was finished I tied the handles into a knot as per the directions but found the opening was way too small for my liking - plus it sat too snug under my armpit and was difficult to reach into.  I decided to stitch the tails securely in place slightly overlapping (by about 3/4 ") and made a separate piece for the knot.  I stitched this piece in place over the strap ends so it wouldn't move around and then simply tied it into a knot.  The whole bag hangs much lower and is so easy to just 'grab & go' when I only need a couple of things with me. 
 
If I have any complaints about it - it's that it's a bit too bright and flower power for me really but I love the style of it.  Maybe it will encourage you to check out the tutorial and have a go at one yourself.  I sure hope so.
 
Enjoy!
 
Suezie

1 comment: