On my day off this week my eldest daughter (Vicky) was keen to come spend the morning hanging out with me and I was glad of her company. She has 3 young kiddies and lives across town so she's usually busy but this week she made time for her ol' mum. Even though they live in the same country I miss my girls. As they've grown we have so many more 'grown up' interests to share with each other but we all lead busy lives.
When I told Vicky I had jam to make she immediately asked if she could make it while I showed her how. Sure - isn't that what all good mums do! Besides I love being in the kitchen with my girls - for me it's the heart of the home. Actually I love cooking along side my hubby too - it's where I feel most at home and loved.
We buy the strangest things to bring back home - like our Crest Cinnamon toothpaste, paper lunch sacks, Good Season's Italian salad dressing mix (that I find soooo hard to keep in the cupboard once the girls know I have some!) and even canning jars. These are an everyday item back home but here in the Uk they're a special order item and expensive IF you can get them at all and NO WAY can I get these cute jam jars. I simply couldn't wait to use em!
They were called 'quilted cystal jelly jars' and were a cute 4oz size. Even the lids had pretty swirls on them and they even had a smooth place to add the labels that were provided! ONLY in America!
I had already done all the prep work by the time Vic arrived and we had already picked up some reduced blueberries on a quick supermarket run the day before. My hubby can't go to the store without checkin out the reduced isle! You only need 500g to make a batch of jam which makes this easy to do with a couple punnets of reduced fruit.
Vic got to use the cute jam jars from America but the others in this shot (UK jars) were for my green tomato chutney I also planned to make that day. These kind of jars are easy to find but they're just not the same for me.
I think I have probably shared this recipe before but I'm sharing it again for anyone that's interested.
Microwave Jam
500g berries (I especially love blueberries)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups sugar
Place a dish in freezer to chill. Clean and sterilise jars. (I use Milton sterilising tablets, takes 15 minutes in cold water and can be reused for several batches of jars) Wash and drain berries. Add lemon juice and microwave on high 5 minutes to soften. Add sugar, stir well and microwave 10 minutes. Stir quickly and return to microwave for 10 more minutes on high. Let stand 1-2 minutes and test small amount on chilled dish - push slighty with finger for 'setting' point - it should be thickened, move forward when pushed but not immediately run back. It thickens up even more once it cools in jars so a 'thick, ever so slighty runny' is ok. If not then return for 5 minutes more but no more than this as it's possible to over cook jam. Fill jars, clean rims (I use a clean cloth that has been sitting in the sterilising water), seal and label.
I have found blueberries and strawberries sometimes need an extra 5 minutes but everything else I've tried works on the 20 minute process.
That's all there is to it. Anyone can whip up a batch of jam for gift giving in less than half a morning. Decorate up a package of scone mix (or cheat, take it out of the pack and re-package it up yourself and then decorate) place in a pretty basket or container and you have a super quick, super easy gift idea.
If using small jars it makes 6, larger jars it makes just 3 or 4 depending on size but sometimes that's all you need. By the time you do strawberries, blueberries, blackberries etc., you have a good years supply!
I have booked a week off to spend with my younger daughter Jess next month so maybe I'll make up the other half dozen jars so I can pass this on to her too.
For now I am struggling to get my craft 'mojo' back so I don't have much crafting to share but I'm guessin it'll come back sometime soon. I have DT work to get back to and classes to design for so if you've been missin the crafts - you'll just have to hang in there with me till I'm back. For now family is foremost on my mind so I make no apologies :-). Besides it's MY blog LOL!



4 comments:
Hi Suezie - love reading your blog and keeping up to date with all you are doing - never thought about doing jam before beacuse I thought it would be difficult (I don't really do kitchens) but even I think could do this - how long does the jam keep for?
Bye for now
Dawn
Suezie, it looks like you had a great day with your daughter passing down your kitchen skills to her.
Can't wait to see what you create when the MOJO returns.
WOW that sure sounds easy and yummy too!!
time with family is the most important thing girlfriend so no worries :)
Hey Suezie. You need to have that family time right now and you're right, it's most important! We're here when you get back and your mojo will return in time. I've been there too. Thanks for sharing your recipe, sounds very yummy and how nice of your daughter to come help!!
Post a Comment