While last week was pretty tough going there were moments that were very special too. Mom kept so many things even handwritten notes we left her whilst visiting. I'm ashamed to say if it had been me I'd have thrown them away.
While going through some of the many letters she kept we came across one she wrote to a candy company shortly after Dave's father (Al) had passed away. She wrote asking if they could date a heart shaped candy box that he had given her which she knew was at least 25 years old and they replied. They were able to tell her when it was designed and put into production.
That was it - we were now on a mission to find it! She had included a photograph and it looked beautiful but we had no idea what size box we were looking for. Finally we found it and here it is.....
Dave and I knew as soon as we found the plain cardboard box tucked way back in her bedroom closet that it had to hold what we were looking for. She had described the box including the weight and description on the outer box but we weren't prepared for the sheer size of it. It was BIG!
There was row after row of pretty lace ruffles and it was simply beautiful to look at and to hold - still in perfect condition - still like new as though it had been bought yesterday. She obviously cherished it. She ate the candy inside too darn it - I should've know it was too much to hope for piece of chocolate to still be lurking inside! I can only imagine how beautiful the candy must've looked once the lid came off.
Nestled in the centre was a beautiful velvet rose - about the size of my hand which should give some idea of how big the whole box was. It was a real joy to be able to link the letter and the candy heart box together so this token of love can be kept a while longer.
Long before we loved mom she was treasured and adored by the love of her life - Al - and it was heart warming to see the momentos and read the letters that passed between them over the years. Who knew he was such a romantic? I sure didn't - until now that is.
I have already related this story a couple of times since we've been back that I just had to share pictures of it. Besides I wanted to look at it again too.



1 comment:
awe how sweet!!! that is one huge box of chocolate too :)
Post a Comment