Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Mom's Kitchen

While we were back home we stayed at mom's same as always.  I can't deny I had a few teary days and on one in particular I felt the need to cook in mom's kitchen like I had done so many times before.  I have always felt right at home in her kitchen and we often found ourselves side by side fixin something for dinner.

Mom had plenty of canning jars so we picked up some strawberries and I decided to make microwave jam to share.  Clearly I wasn't going to bring it back home with me - I already have a good years supply of my own.



After it was made a good root around in mom's craft room turned up a pretty checkered paper sack, pinking shears, string, ink, chalks and a hole punch.  I just love that we sfared a love of crafting.  and since I had taken delivery of the 'friendship jar' stamps from PTI while we were there I decided to test them out and make pretty labels for the jars too.

I had been wanting these stamps for a few months and finally decided to order them right before we knew we were making a sudden trip home.  Mom was always so good about forwarding things like this on to me.


I used a paper mask to shorten up the jar and add labels & text exactly where I wanted it.  Then I used a red coloured pencil to add a 'checkered' topper, aged it using brown ink around all edges, chalked the 'jam' label and punched holes to string it onto the jar.


This shows the tag in a bit more detail.  I was really pleased with the finished effort.  At home I wouldn't always have time to go to this much trouble unless I am giving a jar as a gift but I am so glad I have these stamps, especially with Christmas fast approaching.  I just loved how these cute tags came together - so easy and so effective.

Mom taught me a great many things over the years - not least of which was canning and preserving.  I loved it then and I still love it now.

I promise in my next post I'll share the recipe for microwave jam - it wasn't one of mom's recipes - I found it 'all by myself' but it's super quick and easy and sooooo worth sharing!

2 comments:

Rose said...

yummy!! how wonderful to share the love of crafting and cooking :)

Jean Addis said...

Your post reminded me of my precious mom, and her microwave strawberry jam. You did a great job on the labels.