Monday, 27 September 2010

Goodbye Summer!

Well I think maybe it's time to say 'goodbye summer' as our weather has turned wet, windy and cold.  I know people who have turned their heating on already.  Not us - we aren't quite ready to face winter heating bills just yet so I have added an extra afghan to the bed - one that Grandma made - and we're layering up.

I am also taking my brolly to work with me every day now and today I had to use it on my way home.  I just happened to have my camera in my handbag too so I took a few pictures - no where near as pretty as the real thing but 'do you know how hard it is to take pictures while holding your bag, a brolly over your head and trying to stay away from the curb so the cars passing by don't splash you'?  Well it ain't easy!


I'm sure several people wondered just what I was doin but I didn't care.  Everything looked so fresh and vibrant in the rain and I just love this ivy.  It grows all over the place in my neighbourhood and I use it in my Christmas wreath each year.  I even spray the berries gold which look fab.  Green is one of my favourite colours and I love the differing shades of the new leaves against the older ones - so pretty.  I sure hope you can see the rain drops in this shot.


Each day I walk past the historical Abbey Gardens and the river Lark with it's brick columns and old railings and I was overwhelmed by the amount of spiderwebs that were visable thanks to the rain!  I didn't see any spiders in them thankfully but there were tons of webs absolutely everywhere.


It's amazing how they showed up once they were wet and I could've stood there looking at them for ages.  I was however getting wetter by the minute so eventually I gave it up and went on my way but not before I took a few more snap shots.  I realised after I got almost home that I should've looked back behind me and captured a shot up the street with the garden walls over hung with willow trees and the grey, wet scene that was so typical of wet English weather.  Oh well the weather man says there's a whole lot more of this to come so another day maybe.

Think tomorrow I might have to cook a stew and dumplings or maybe a casserole - feels like cold weather comfort food would be good right about now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love spiders webs like this or even better with the first frost on them early in the morning. i can stand and stare just like you at the beauty of nature sometimes.
take Care
x Tricia

Rose said...

oh what awesome pics!! love the spider webs :) God sure did create some neat stuff, eh?

oh send some of your rain my way pleeeeze :)

Karen Wilson said...

Suezie, these are gorgeous pics and who cares what other ppl were thinking, right? Good for you! I do have to admit, I had a vision of you standing there, umbrella (right? LOL!) over your head, bag in one hand, camera in the other..trying to get that perfect pic and I had a giggle. Why?? Because I've been there, done that SO many times! LOL! They turned out beautifully!

Jean Addis said...

What stunning pictures! Amazing what Mother Nature has in store for us. We're still using the air conditioning here.