Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Going Vintage!

After a super busy week last week taking charge of the kitchen for our church holiday club I needed a 'down day'.  This isn't a 'down day' as in feeling down but rather a 'down tools' day where I stay in my PJs pretty much all day until I have a long relaxing bath late afternoon or early evening and put fresh PJ's on ready for bed. So basically it's no clothes, no restrictions, don't want no visitors, leave me be to chill out and I do whatever I have the energy or inclination to do!

A woman's work is never done so as far as house work goes I did some dishes and washed & dried several loads of laundry.  You can't avoid some things completely - I've learnt that you just pay for it the next day.

I chose to craft - ALL day!  When I get days like this every now and then I don't worry too much about whether I eat, drink or anything else.  I just get into creative mode and my own little space and create.  Wanna see what I created?

 
I went all vintage with these gorgeous Waltzing Mouse Stamps!
 
I started out on plain white cardstock but because I pinned several of the StampinUp! 'paper bag' die ideas I was hankering to make me a pretty paper bag too.  I don't have the die but I watched a couple of video tutorials and after a bit of trial and error I created my own cardstock template. 
 
 
I determined the finished size and that was my starting point so I drew a rectangle to this measurement.  Next I added 1/2" to the bottom edge and tapered it slightly to create the lower flap.  I guess you could leave out the tapering bit and use a corner rounder whic h would look equally nice.
 
Next up I added a half measurement rectangle to the right hand side that extended 1/2" above the top of the bag.  I then added a further rectangle to the left hand side the same but with an extended 1/2" out on this side for the overlap at the back of the bag (back seam).  Finally I created 'mirrored curved inner edges of the back pieces and added directions to my template.
 
For example I wrote along the top edge 'cut along this edge with pinking shears' and surprisingly if I think about how I start cutting the overlap matches up perfectly.  The trick is to see where you finished on the first curve and to aim to start the next curve on the same cut - either a ^ or v cut.  Match those and it should all line up nicely.  Otherwise you could cut one side and the front and then cut the other side once it's assembled so the cut 'flows' nicely.
 
 
I inked and distressed every edge in sight, assembled the bag and set to work stamping it up to match my postcard inside.  I was AMAZED at how stunning these roses stamped onto patterned paper!  I liked the look so much I decided to mirror the scripture verse from my card to the front of this bag.  No other decoration is required but I did up a matching tag with the tiny rose stamps included in the set.
 
I know I've said it before but it bears repeating - Claire packs so many stamps into each set they're great value for money.
 
 
The trick to turning these beautiful stamped roses into something wonderfully vintage is distressing inks by Tim Holtz.  I honestly could never get what the fuss was all about with Tim Holtz but since buying a couple of his inks, I'm completely sold and regularly add to my set when I see new colours I might like.  I love that they don't give a crystal clear image every time.  I actually like the random-ness (is that a word?) or the uneven-ness they create, proving that stamping doesn't always have to be perfect to look great.
 
The other thing I can't seem to do at the moment is get away from adding the last layer of stamping in black.  It is so striking!  I guess you could use a deep brown as well for a more vintage feel but I'm partial to black.
 
 
This set is intended to be a little gift for a special gal and I wanted to pop in one of my envelope magnets.  I used the WMS envelop die, distressed it and will add both a liner and some pretty vintage roses to it before finally including a selection of scripture cards that can be popped in the open envelope.  I wanted to be able to send along a couple of other scriptures now and then to add to this gift over the year as well.
 
 
And tucked inside is a postcard to match.  Originally I stamped up a plain white postcard to go with this but when I made up the bag and stamped on the designer paper my creative curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see if I could use this same idea for a postcard.  I guess if you were mailing this as just a postcard it might be hard since you'd have to make sure your paper didn't come away but tucked into a paper bag it didn't really matter.  Spray adhesive would probably be the answer otherwise. 
 
I took my stamping off the edge so most of it is on the paper background but it flows over to the edge of the card.
 
 
And then this is the reverse.  Who says you can't have a 'postcard' card in an envelope or pocket instead of a traditional card?  The mini roses are perfect for adding a co-ordinating touch to the reverse of this postcard too.  I inked these edges slightly to make the whole thing feel 'old'
 
I just realised I will need to do something about the stamp!  I've already given a couple of these cards out and completely forgot to add any kind of stamp!!! Oh well.  I guess creative license says I don't have to if I don't want to.  I guess I didn't want to LOL!
 
Ask me which 2 sets I'd happily take away with me to a dessert island - assuming I could of course - and I think it would have to be these two.  I am incredibly fond of my Verve 'Plain Jane' scripture stamps as well though.  They allow me to share my faith and to send wonderful encouragement to fellow believers when it's needed.  I'm hoping to use this rose set and my Verve stamps at one of the women's coffee mornings that we organise at a different person's home each month for a freebie 'make & take' project. 
 
One of these days I'll get myself a set of stamps that allows me to make little prayer journals or 'praying for' cards to tuck into my Bible or my bag to remember to pray for various people.  Life can be really hectic and full on at times so it's super important to make the time to study and pray.  It'd be really helpful to have a beautifully stamped up card in a pocket on my fridge reminding me.  I did see one a long time ago and deliberated over it.  Now I wish I'd snapped it up!
 
Blessings to all
 
Suezie

No comments: