Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Post Christmas Bargains

Much of the post Christmas sales are dwindling down to the last remnants so if you haven't spent your Christmas money by now you're unlikely to get any double the value items worth having.  As for me I ordered a set of Waltzing Mouse Stamps plus a few from America that didn't come today which was disappointing but knowing I have a couple of packages coming is pretty exciting and hopefully I'll get them both by the weekend.
 
That being said I popped into town today on my day off, walked past Clinton Cards store and couldn't help myself with their sale LOL!
 
I recycle as much as I can, as often as I can and Christmas is no exception (within reason).  I use recycled Christmas cards for most of my tags just like my mother always did and I reuse pretty bags I have been given year after year.  Well, until they wear out that is!  And some of my bags were looking pretty sad this year.
 
I loathe the commercialism of Christmas as much as I begrudge paying half as much on the wrapping as the gift inside, but sometimes, just sometimes you have to break with tradition and restock and replenish old supplies.  Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  LOL.
 
No, really.  I'm not a cheapskate (although sometimes I must sound like one) but as a Christian I do believe we need to try to be good stewards of the money God sees fit to give us so I try not to fritter it away and I give what I can as often as I can.  It means I'm not a slave to money or materialism and also that I pick and choose carefully those things that I spend that hard earned cash on.  Thankfully it is cash and not credit so if I don't have it, then I don't need it or I can wait a while and save for it until I do.  It wasn't always this way tho'.

 
This was today's haul.  I got those somewhat expensive money gift cards - well when you have to buy them x 4 or more they are!  I got pretty snowflake cellophane, red polka dot fabric. gift bags galore,  Christmas jam gifting kits (which I liked before Christmas but refused to pay so much for!), tags, kraft colour and glittered wrap and even a cuddly toy.  Total cost should've been £64 but cost me only £16!
 
 
I simply ADORE anything polka dot and red is one of my most favourite colours so I can't wait to get creative with this.
 
 
Who could resist the red pom poms on these tatty teddy gift bags?  I got enough for 1 for everyone and then a couple extra just because they were so darn cute.  And that wee tatty teddy is getting tucked inside one as an extra gift.  He was on sale too.  Plus I kinda know what I'm putting in them so it'll fit perfect.
 
 
These were the jam making kits and I even grabbed several matching bags so I can make up home made goodies, dress them up and present them in matching bags.  One of the gals at church made up a massive batch of caramel sauce to gift with apples for dipping - YUM!  I might have to try making me some of that next Christmas for gifting.  Whatever I pop in my jars I'm good to go and yesterday another gal at church offered me a whole bunch of empty Bon Maman jars for recycling - you know those lovely ones with the red & white checkered lids.  She is definitely going to go on the gift list for a jar of something.  They honeymooned in France, brought loads of jam back for an English Afternoon Tea reception for the whole church family - which was delicious - and promised to save me the jars.  How sweet was that?
 
 
And because I had a bit of a fling with kraft coloured paper and card this year in all my Christmas craft projects - inspired by this paper, I couldn't resist a few sheets of it.  They were reduced fron £2 to just .50p per sheet.  The glittering on them adds a really nice something extra.
 
There was way more on offer but I restrained myself.  I simply cannot believe how expensive the wrappings are, especially if you buy quality and I have to say everything is quality but that just means it'll last a while.  My family are very, very good to me.  They often say "Mum would you like to have the bag back?" and they aren't a bit offended when I say 'yes please - I can use it again next year!'  I can still remember Christmases back home when Mom would throw the loopy bows my way so I could recycle them and the year my sister-in-love Debbie used the coloured cartoon pages from the newspapers as Christmas wrap - such a cool idea!
 
If all goes well I'll be gifting microwave bowl potholders with jars of caramel sauce and mini crates of apples for dipping.  Right that's Christmas 2015 sorted then LOL!
 
For anyone living locally, I picked these up today and there's still loads more left and it's pretty much all 75% off so they can clear it now.  The things I picked up are just a fraction of what they had to offer so you can still hot foot it over there and bag a bargain.  Well that's if you have any money left.
 
Blessings
 
Suezie

No comments: