I had been itching to make one of these microwave bowl potholders ever since I pinned a few of them to my Pinterest boards but like most ideas, I just needed an excuse to get going with it. The gal at work that I made one for loved it and as good fortune would have it she just happened to have soup for lunch so she was able to test it that same day. I have to confess I hadn't tried it myself and although I pop my homemade wheat bags into the microwave ALL the time (and they get pretty hot too!) I was a little hesitant to be the first to give these a go.
I was incredibly grateful to MIchelle that she tried it instead and it worked a treat - well she was chuffed anyway and frankly so was I. I realised when I made a few more the following day that I don't actually have many bowls to cook soup in because I heat them up in special mugs with clip on lids and a vent made out of stay cool plastic.
But what's really neat about the design is that they will fit most styles of dishes from the wide open ones to the taller deep dish types. It's all good. I chose to make my potholder with a 10" square which seemed to be about mid size judging by most tutorials out there.
It's difficult to see the detail but a series of small darts gives them the kinda 'cupped' bowl shape. They literally can't lay flat!
After that you sew from the inner end of one dart across to another, then another until you are back to the first dart again to create a stictched 'square' base. It helps create a flat bottom so it sits better rather than having a rounded bottom.
They're completely machine washable and perfectly safe. All I need to do now is source some 100% cotton batting at a much better price - which I hope to shop for this weekend and I'm good to go with creating a few sets for Christmas gift giving.
I like to get an early start on Christmas each year but even this is super early for my home made gifting projects. So what do you think the chances are that I can make up another project in February, then March, then April ........... Somebody wake me up cos I think I must be dreaming LOL!
I have a couple of baby blankets or quilts I need to make though and I'd like to make myself one of those nice, trendy camera straps for my new camera. Oh and I need to recover some cushions and make up the curtains I didn't get around to last year. I have plenty to keep me busy, just not the time.
I am desperately trying to finish my latest Bible study 'Lord, I Want to Know You' by Kay Arthur after which I need to get back to the earlier study 'Romans' (precept by precept) that I put to one side for the time being. What with work and family, home life plus church and then a bit of crafting in between there simply aren't enough hours in my day and when you consider I'm usually up at 5.30 am most days I can't see how I could possibly squeeze in any more!
Happy Crafting in 2015
Suezie




No comments:
Post a Comment