Thursday, 4 April 2013

Life

I know I have been absent for a while but I'm still here.  Sometimes life just sneaks up on you and takes over.  We lost my mother's sister Aunty Rene (or Irene as she preferred to be called) the beginning of this week and whilst it was sad it came with mixed blessings.  She had an in-operable brain tumour so went into a very quick decline but at least we managed to take my mother to visit her a couple of times whilst she was still able to talk to us and she didn't suffer long.

I've spent time with my mother since which is always a blessing - we get along and enjoy each others company, it's always fun and I'm grateful we are able to be together but my heart goes out to my cousins as they were very close to their mother.  They will miss her terribly.  Some time later this month we will be traveling to Northampton to help support them through the funeral.  We would value your prayers.

Prior to that the Chaos holiday club has been keeping me pretty busy making costumes so I thought I'd share what I've been creating.  It's not cards or papercraft but it's still a creative outlet.


Lots of sheets, curtains and fabrics were donated and this bright striped fabric was new so it was nice and crisp and a joy to work with.  I have pinned this robe closed in this shot - the lady who donated the fabric had a 'techni-coloured dreamcoat' in mind when she bought it so I had to make one up.  Most likely this will be worn over a tunic for one of the Kings.  Whilst the theme is outer space, the story is Daniel so we needed tunics for Kings and King's advisors as well as for Daniel.  I managed to get 3 outfits and several belts from this striped fabric alone.

I've also been scouring charity shops for belts and bits and pieces - anything that might add to the costumes and make it more fun for the actors and the kids in the audience.


I managed to rope a couple of ladies to help me on one occasion and bless Jilly - she helped me out a couple of times and had sewing lessons into the bargain.  There are times in my life when I simply couldn't have done half as much without the help of Jilly; she is an absolute gem of a friend.  I can't imagine what I've ever done to deserve her but I am forever grateful to God for the gift of true friendship.


And here's a shot of the finished tunic - we were at church until nearly 10.30 pm trying to get them finished!  I spent the entire week following making costumes until I simply couldn't do another one LOL!  I haven't pulled an all-nighter for some time and over the last couple of weeks I've done double duty on these costumes.  I can't even attend holiday club as I'm working so I sure hope we get a performance in church the following Sunday cos I'd love to see it.

In between everything that's going on at present I am trying to get into design mode and actually managed to make a card with my new stamps yesterday.  It's the first chance I've had to even get them out to look at since they came a while ago.  Hopefully I can play some more over this weekend and have something to share.

I did manage to make a pillow case bag from Pinterest at my mother's house yesterday evening.  I'll try to get a picture taken and share it.  The grandkids are coming for dinner tomorrow evening so it might be the weekend before I can post it here.

I'm testing out pillow case projects as sewing ideas for a gal at church who's going out to Africa this summer to teach kids to sew and make things.  She was one of the gals who helped with the costume making so I'd like to give back.  Hopefully I can organise a couple of sewing sessions - there are a few ladies at church who would like to learn how to sew and I can't think of a better way to teach them.  I'm keen to try a pillow case dress next.

Well I'm headed off to browse a little Pinterest and check my emails and then take myself off to Bedfordshire.  It's been a long and busy day - my work colleague has been off on a week long cruise and then a further week in Miami - lucky thing - but it means I've had to hold down the fort at work. It'll be Saturday before I get a chance to relax.  I think maybe I'll need the distraction of crafting by then.  Oh and just to make my life interesting my washing machine has stopped spinning!  That'll be a trip to the launderette to squeeze in at some point then huh?  Oh joy!  What is it they say?  It never rains but it pours! :-)  Still - shouldn't grumble.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Hugs

Suezie 

2 comments:

hotpotato said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

kay said...

Sorry about your aunt.we are thinking of you. Will get in touch when we get back from a show in scotland. Amanda has her birthday on sunday