Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Just Updating

Just updating since we're now back from our trip.  We both really enjoyed the break from it all and especially getting out and about together. Just being able to have the time for Dave to help me go walkabout was the best bit for me.  I have been stuck indoors for far too long. Of course there was also far too much eating out so the diet was off the radar!  I figured it would be but I got right back on it the very next day we were back in a bid to undo any damage I may have done.  I see the nurse this coming Saturday and I can cope with staying the same but I have never yet gained so I'd be really disappointed if I did now.

We've stayed in a few places whilst Jess has lived in Northampton and she kindly booked one for us that was about a 15 - 20 minute drive away.


It was in a place called Broughton and was surprisingly quiet.  It was on the edge of a newer housing development so I don't know how long that will last but we had a nice stay here and the drive back and forth to pick Jess up everyday was no trouble.  We put a whole lot of miles on the car in a short space of time.  The lack of exercise was beginning to really bug me so I lapped up all the fresh air and open space and now I'm getting ready to return to work and looking forward to the walk home each day.  I don't yet know if I can handle it all but I'm hoping hubby will help me work on that in the next few days - things are looking pretty good so I'm hopeful.


We didn't have anywhere specific in mind to visit so we just grabbed the map every day and picked somewhere.  I had never been to Lemington Spa so we went there for the day and were pleasantly surprised.  I would definitely go back there again.  And when we went to Banbury (as in ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross) we found a flea market and Jess bartered for this lovely wooden basket for me.  I love things like this and it will look nice out on a worktop with inks or something inside.


We found several charity shops and picked up a few bits - sadly no fabric but I did get 3 of these pretty Weck jars at just 50p each.  Hopefully you can make out the strawberry design on the front and the lids.  I had cupcakes in a jar in mind but since I collect strawberries I'm not so sure I will be able to part with them when the time comes. LOL.


I did manage to purchase some new fabric so I have been cutting out aprons.  I want to make one for Jess so I can get a 'thank you' package into the post for her.  I always try to send her a little something to say thanks when we visit.  She usually treats us to a meal out - in fact she finds it hard to let us take a turn but we do insist.  She is always very good to us and she loves getting packages as much as I do so I try to spoil her in return.  She can't protest at a package if she doesn't know it's coming now can she?


So far I've cut out 3 aprons and have two more to cut out but I've run out of white lining fabric.  The cherry fabric is Cath Kidston and matches dishes I gave Jess for last Christmas.  The two floral fabrics aren't CK but they were such a bargain that I had to have them - only £5 per metre and they look every bit CK to me so I wasn't going to pass that up.


While I'm here I might as well share my retro sewing bag which you might've caught sight of in the background.  I know it's at least retro by the 'St Michael' label inside (sorry it's upside down in this shot).  I know that this label was first introduced in 1928 and by 1950 virtually all goods were sold under this label.  Because of the box around this label I guestimate it's around about the 70's mark which must make it 40 years old if not a bit more.

 I have been looking for a suitable bag to house my machine for several months and didn't want to pay the sometimes hefty price in the sewing shops (up to as much as £50).  Besides I wanted something with character that I would enjoy looking at if it sat out for any length of time.   This bag makes me think of the show Pan Am that was on not too long along and followed the lives of several air stewardess' on those early flights - you know when there was luxury on board, lots of leg room, personalised service with a smile etc..


I found several bags during my search but just couldn't settle on one until I found this beauty.  I just love the handles, the hardware, the colour and design - everything in fact and it's very deep and roomy enough to take patterns and fabric as well as my sewing machine.  Best of all it was a mere £3.99 in a local charity shop!  You simply can't beat that kind of price anywhere!  And a saving like this just means I can spend my money on something else which is just how I like it.  

Well now I guess I need to get the machine out of the bag and get busy with those aprons :-)

I love going away but like most people it's good to be home.  Hope some of you have managed a nice break  this year.

Blessings

Suezie

No comments: