We are still waiting for our first red tomato of the season. I've had some lovely yellow cherry toms from the hanging baskets in our back yard but our tomatoes on the plot seem to be taking forever!
We were tidying them up this weekend after picking berries and hubby clipped this one off by mistake. You can see how big it is by the size of my hand and it's really just a baby! There are bigger ones than this. Something makes me think we must've planted mom's tomato seeds this year. I take charge of planting up all the seedlings and my memory is absolute CRAP so I may well have done and just not remembered it. They look like mom's toms.
To my recollection Mom had been cultvating these seeds forever - well as long as I can remember at least and then some - and I know they have been grown by several generations in the family. I'm pleased to be keeping that tradition alive so I must make sure I keep seeds from these for next year.
Hubby is 6 feet tall and so when you see this shot you get some idea of just how tall the plants have grown. He had chopped much of them down by the time I took a picture.
We have 9 of these beasties on our plot of land and we decided to clip back quite a bit to expose all those lovely toms to a bit of sunshine. I am DESPERATE for them to go red so I can start making Italian sauce. I run out of it pretty quick each year cos I love any kind of pasta, tomato and cheese dish.
I seem to recall these were a late ripener as well. In fact it was last September when we lost mom that we were home and she had them growing in her back yard. They were just about turning red then and when you know how hot and sunny it gets back there - I think I may have to be patient a while longer yet. Thankfull we don't seem to be bothered by those big fat tomato worms that I always hated on hers. Well least ways I haven't seen any sign of them yet. Hopefully they're an American thing and we won't have them in this country.
For now I have my green tom on the kitchen window sill in an effort to get it to go red. Wish me luck!


1 comment:
Suezie. try putting a banana or more red tomatoes with your green one on the windowsill. That might work. My Mum always used to wrap any green ones in brown paper and put them in the bottom drawer near the fire when I was a little girl but whether she had any great success with this method I'm not sure!
Good to see you on Saturday.
Won't be able to make your first sewing class in September but may be able to make a couple of the others if you go ahead with them. x Tricia
Post a Comment