Thursday, 18 October 2012

A Busy Day Off

Well yesterday was my routine mid-week day off work and it was a pretty busy one.  First up I made a dozen pretty little napkins for a gift I need for next week, then I baked over 4 dozen cupcakes for an event at our church on Friday and I did a little crafting too.


I started off by cutting out a dozen squares.  These are actually smaller napkins - the kind you'd use for cupcakes and delicate pastries at a tea party.


Don't they look pretty all folded and layered up?


And because I knew I wanted to keep them arranged like this when I package them I decided to colour copy a piece of the fabric to match.  I plan on adhering it to a rectangle of thick card and then laying the triangle fold napkins on top and using clear cellophane to wrap it all up in tied with a nice big bow and pretty tag. 


After the napkins were finished I set to work on making up the cupcakes.  I make no secret about the fact that I use a cake mix when making cupcakes.  The frosting is ALWAYS made from scratch though but I use a mix for the cakes for two very good reasons.  First it's a fantastic time saver on preping and measuring out lots of ingredients.  I usually have to dig deep in my cupboards so it means climbing on a stool etc.  Secondly I just love how moist and 'no fail' good ol' Betty Crocker cakes are.


Plus I am lovin' the new look packaging.  Why it matches the apron I made myself last year - even down to the dots!  And anyone who knows me, knows how dotty I am for polka dots LOL.  Even the piece of Cath Kidston ribbon I stitched onto my apron hs a similar feel to it.

I just might have to find a way to use some of the packaging maybe or make up a gift set in these colours with a retro feel.  How cute would that be?


I chose to tint my frosting pink - I was aiming for red but couldn't quite get there.  I frosted them up this evening and even though I made a double batch of frosting and frosted up 42 cupcakes, I couldn't quite get them all done so I'll be making up a bit more frosting when I get home from work tomorrow to finish them off.


So I have 4 containers stacked on my stove top right now with all but one tub full ready to go.

I used this opportunity to work a few things out for when I make the cupcakes for Caroline's wedding.  Like that  I might need one more cake mix and will need to fill the cases up a bit more, plus I will probably need 4 batches of frosting so I can pipe them up a bit higher.  All in all it was really good practice for me.  I would've hated to figure out all this a day or two before the wedding!


And just so I could chill after all that busy and a bit of house cleaning I sat and stamped up a whole bunch of sheets using a sweet little nativity set from StampinUp!  I've had this set for a number of years but rarely use it and I am looking for things to make for more charity fund raising.


My first thought was to make up sweet little cards but then I thought maybe people would like to but kits to make up a couple of cards.  I still have to work out how to do the topper for the packaging but each kit has enough supplies to make 2 cards complete with liner that's stamped with the larger sentiment in the picture.

I even added a few colouring pencils (behind the cards) and all the elements already have adhesive on them - all you have to do is colour, peel and stick!  What could be easier than that?  I think these would be fun to gift to anyone who has kiddies too so I need to make a couple extra so I can do just that.  I'm sure the grandkids would love these too.

Well it's after midnight (we're waiting up to collect Jess form work) but I'm gonna start getting ready for bed.  It usually takes me 20 minutes or so and by that time hubby will have brought her back home.  I have another busy day ahead tomorrow since I'm helping out at an event at church in the evening and I know I have a big pile of work sitting on my desk that needs doing too.  Still it all keeps me out of trouble huh?  LOL.

Oh and my Waltzing Mouse package was returned to Claire stating 'addressee gone away' so goodness only knows where it was delivered to?  It certainly wasn't here and even though she's re-sent it I'm still playing the waiting game!  See!  Somebody really doesn't want me to have those stamps huh?  I'd sure love to have them to play with over this weekend so I hope they come tomorrow or I'll be emailing Claire and worrying that they've gone astray again.

Hugs

Suezie

No comments: