Food is always a good place to start so I helped the kids cook their own pancake breakfast on day one - AND I was smart - we cooked up enough so we could have some on day two as well :-) Grandma's not just a pretty face ya know LOL! And meal times were made more fun as we all got involved with more than the cooking, such as setting the table, clearing it, washing our own dishes and even helping each other out with the drying up. All pretty basic stuff I know - but we had fun doin it. I love working alongside the kids AND it fills a bit more time LOL!
Anyhow the kids were keen to do a bit of paper crafting and I had sorted out a box of old Christmas cards in preparation for some crafting. These guys sat and created for several hours before Grandma had finally had enough!
We rounded off each afternoon with snacks and a movie just so I could have me a 'sit me down' mostly LOL.
Perhaps most surprising of all is that Maddy sat still and concentrated for sooooo long. That's not usally her style. At 6 years old she almost never sits still unless she's doing something she enjoys and STILL wears her teachers out! I bet they enjoyed the break from school LOL. Lucky for me she was enjoying herself but when she wasn't - boy oh boy! Let's just say that I was glad to go back to work on Thursday (for the rest) and in bed by 9.00 pm that evening. I was all tuckered out :-)
And these were Maddy's finished cards - of course Grandma helped but I think they turned out pretty cute for recycled Christmas cards!
And of course one of the most important finishing touches is to write inside your card. This was something that all 3 kids really enjoyed.
Again this was something that kept Maddy sitting still and concentrating for quite a while. She has made this angel card for her God-mother Abbie - who she has always (and still insists on doing) referred to as 'big Abbie'. She usually sees Abbie several times throughout the year and is even planning to spend a whole weekend in London with her next month - she is sooooo excited! Something tells me Big Abbie will be shattered at the end of it LOL.
Abbie will be thrilled to get this hand made card from Maddy this Christmas.
Kaleb proved to be quite a dab hand with the Big Shot machine and super patient too since I had him cut me about 60 circles out of card fronts. I figured the kids might like to make baubles and had a really neat idea but I eventually had to abandon it. They simply weren't interested.
These were a couple of Kaleb's finished Christmas cards. He didn't want help so he pretty much did his own thing and I think he did a great job.
These were Zach's cards. Like Kaleb he pretty much wanted to do his own thing but I did manage to help him with the card on the right. It was for someone very special so he let me help to get it just right. The red and green one in the back with a picture of a white Westie dog is for Aunty Jessy - she'll love it.
We pretty much just cut out the various elements from the old cards, added some pretty papers to card blanks and re-assembled them onto the new cards, adding a gem or two here and a button or two there. We had a whole lot of 3D going on using foam pads but I steered clear of the glitter this time around I'm afraid. I simply couldn't face the mess that would've made.
As it was this was the state the kitchen table was getting into! And after a while we were all working on top of each other and everything else that was piling up on the table. Every now and then someone would ask where the scissors had gone and we'd all down tools and dig around on the table to find them so we eventually called it a day.
In the end we had two whole days of paper crafting - they came back the following day asking if they could make more. The kids got some really cute cards made, and we had real quality time chatting to one another as we crafted (which is really what it's all about), we all had a load of fun together and I know we're all hoping we can do it again real soon.
I can't wait until the Christmas break when I can get them baking up treats to go along with their cards!
Hugs
Suezie










1 comment:
what a wonderful blessed time you all had :)
hope you had a great christmas and are all doing well :)
i plan on getting back into crafting with the new year. now that mom has moved out on her own i can get more done. PTL she is well enough to be independent again!!
Post a Comment