Today however was pretty good. First up I managed to find myself another vintage sheet to add to my collection. I see loads of these on US blogs right now and I know we have no where near the same volume of these here in the UK - I would soooooooo love to get my hands on a few stateside - they all look so FAB! But for now I'll grab em' when & where I can thank you.
My puny little stash of just 4 sheets (well 5 actually cos I have two the same) is a bit pathetic really but it could've been larger. I passed up a beautiful blue rose design a few weeks back - how crazy was I? I looked at it, ummed and aarrhhhed over it, walked away, then went back and did the same but eventually left the charity shop without it and have kicked myself several times over for not having bought it!
This was today's vintage sheet. I know, I know, it's perhaps not quite the design you'd pick if you were buying fabric by the yard but then you have to have vision. Not only do they make up into all manner of pretty projects but they work great with quilting, either for the squares to make up the quilt or the entire backing panel. I have seen several beautiful quilts made up entirely of VS.
Check out the VS quilt at this blog here!
I very nearly purchased a second one today as well, with green patterns on it that would've matched perfectly with this first one but sadly it was not in great shape once it was opened out. An absolute MUST is that the sheet is in 'tip top' condition - like new in fact but that just makes finding these even harder still. I could sure use a few more and a green one especially.
This is one of my favourites - really funky and kinda retro. I've cut up quite a bit of this one for fabric carrier bags but I have yet to sew them. When you get a sheet you get a whole lotta fabric so they go a really long way too especially if it happens to be a double size or larger.
This is the one I have double of. I only paid £2 for a bundle of 2 double sheets and pillowcases at a car boot sale would you believe? These are in pristeen condition and have never ever been used. Handling them is like handling new fabric straight off the bolt. It's just a shame they're such an old fashioned design but that's VS for ya - no gettin' away from it I guess.
This one has a kinda patchwork look all it's own and I'm maybe not quite so keen on this one either - which just makes me even more mad that I passed up the blue floral one cos I loved the design. WHAT was I thinking! Clearly I wasn't!!! Still it'll make up something nice at some point I'm sure.
I debated on picking up a cream wool blanket for £2 as well today - there were several actually but I decided I didn't want to carry it home. Now you might be wondering why I'd want one of those huh? Well they work just like batting for quilts and if picked up in charity shops cost way less too. They tend to be real woollen blankets which can be a bit heavier but boy they keep you warm! Those of you who hope to take my rag quilt class take heed. Don't spend a fortune on fabrics if you can recycle good quality sheets and blankets instead. There's simply no sense in it. You won't find me turning my nose up in class if you show up with an old pair of curtains or unused duvet cover.
Sheets make the perfect lining material too so I pick up new white or cream ones whenever I can, otherwise I buy plain sheeting by the yard. Why the heck not I say! Sewing, like knitting used to be way cheaper and everyone did it, often out of necessity. Today it's become a fashionable past-time and so expensive but it doesn't have to be.
And I also picked up some pretty glass pyrex dishes that were heart shaped. I had to have them. I thought they were really cute but when I put them back on the shelf, trying really hard to resist, my daughter quickly pointed out the detailing on them. They were actually strawberries! I know you can't see it in this shot but they have the leaves on the top edge just inside the dishes and I have a strawberry themed kitchen so I picked em' back up. They'd be lovely for making individual baked desserts wouldn't they?
And lastly I spotted the cake slice and matching cake forks. I have always wanted a set of these and my mum and sister went halves on a set for me recently. I had been searching for like FOREVER to find some. The last ones I found in a charity shop I let my daughter have so I wasn't passing these up. In fact my daughter said she liked these better. Well maybe we can swap - who knows?
I hadn't planned to go into town at all today but I had a doctors appointment this morning and my daughter rang to say could we meet in town first. I only did a few of Bury's charity shops - I got tired so we headed back to mine for tea and cake but I enjoyed my bargain hunting. We're very lucky to have a nice selection of charity shops in Bury. Maybe next time I'll get around all of em'. And maybe next time I'll find another vintage sheet to add to my collection - who knows?






No comments:
Post a Comment